MidWest Haze Cam | Main | Feelin' a little mentally log-jammed

Caffeine for your PC

I hate it when I'm working on something and my screen saver kicks in at an inopportune moment -- when I'm giving a presentation, installing software, staring at a blank page with nothing but "Chapter 4" written at the top and waiting for the writing muse to visit.

I'm also too lazy to go in and shut it off during those times. And I don't want to shut the screen saver off forever. But now I've got a great solution: caffeine for my computer!

Zhorn Software provides several nice freeware applications for Windows, including caffeine.exe. When I launch caffeine, it simulates a key press every minute to keep my PC awake. The icon on the task bar allows me to toggle caffeine on or off (indicated by a full or empty pot of coffee).

Posted by rigd0003 at April 5, 2006 10:23 AM | Computer-related | Cool web stuff

Love it!

Posted by: Mom at April 5, 2006 11:26 AM

Does the full pot mean it is on or off?

I can see it both ways. I think I would remember it more as it is empty, so the computer drank the coffee, and thus is on a caffene buzz. But I think most people see it the other way. Or?

Posted by: Allanimal at April 8, 2006 1:04 AM

Yes, I see your point. But in this instance, a full pot means "on" and full of caffeine; empty pot means no more caffeine...

Posted by: UncertDistrib at April 8, 2006 6:13 PM