Category "Cricket"

Category "Sports"

October baseball cricket

Cricket ball and wicket

Ahh, October baseball... the thrill of post-season play. As I struggle to keep up with all of the division series games, I'm also keeping one eye on that other great bat-and-ball game: cricket. Last month I was glued to my computer catching all the action during a thrilling Ashes series. This was one for the record books. I toyed with the idea of blogging about it after England forced a follow-on in the third match against arch-rival, Australia (Yankees v. Red Sox has nothing on this rivalry). But then I felt I might have to explain the follow-on, the Ashes, and even the game of cricket to my fellow Americans. By then the Ashes were over, with glory going to England, and I was occupied by other things.

For those of you who have not yet caught cricket fever, I leave your edification in others' hands. All I will say is that to begin to understand how huge it was for England to win the Ashes series over Australia, you must know Australia's dominance in international cricket. They are so dominant, that they star in an ODI Super Series better known as Australia vs. the World XI (a.k.a. Australia vs. the Rest of the World, or Australia vs. the Best of the Rest). Despite their Ashes loss, and despite setting a fairly attainable goal of 256 for the first Super Series match, Australia won today's first match by 93 runs.

The World Series is one thing, but what about a Best vs. the Rest?

Posted by rigd0003 at 4:17 PM | Cricket | Sports

Category "Cricket"

Tip o' the hat to the Little Master

Tendulkar 10k.jpg

Sachin Tendulkar has become the 5th cricket player to score 10,000 career runs today in India's test match against Pakistan. It's no wonder they call him the "Little Master". Did you know that he swings one of the heaviest bats in world cricket? His bat weighs almost 3-½ pounds! And his technique is almost all wrist action -- I don't know how he does it!

Incidently, there was a great story in the New York Times on Sunday about what this recent test series means to the Pakistanis and Indians who live in the Punjab Province, which has been divided since the partition in 1947.

Posted by rigd0003 at 1:00 PM | Cricket