Category "General"

Moving...

I think I've got all the analysis worked out for my thesis - yay! I've still got a lot of writing to do, but I really feel like I'm almost there.

On the employment front, I'm still waiting to hear if the job offer is a go. It's a new position that's being created, so it's taking longer for approval. We'll see...

In the middle of all this, I'm also thinking about life post-student and apart from the University. Pretty weird for someone who has listed "student' as her profession for soooo, soooo long.

A tiny part of that is moving my blog from the U to another host. I've set up shop over at blogger.com under the title of Uncertainty Analysis. Some of the stuff I'm posting is old stuff (primarily travel pix), but I'll be posting new stuff over there from now on.

Thanks to everyone for all of your comments here and, of course, for the amazing support you've given me. Catch you on the flip side...

Posted by rigd0003 at 1:29 PM | General

Category "General"

Idea of a "Simple Return" for your taxes

Finishing our taxes is on our weekend 'To Do' list, so I was intrigued by an opinion piece in today's New York Times: Why Tell the I.R.S. What It Already Knows? While my own situation probably wouldn't be solved by Prof. Goolsbee's "Simple Return," it sounds like a great idea for many taxpayers who don't take itemized deductions.

Posted by rigd0003 at 2:05 PM | General

Category "General"

File under: Things I didn't know about Minnesota

from NASA's Earth Observatory

In my morning e-mail perusals, I came across this from the Earth Observatory Newsroom: New Images - Northwest Angle, Minnesota. I've been living in Minnesota for about seven years and I just found out that our northernmost part of the state (also the northernmost part of the country contiguous U.S. -- sorry, Alaska!) was not attached to the state! The EO article mentions a Minnesota Public Radio story, which can be found here.

Posted by rigd0003 at 9:28 AM | General

Category "General"

Afternoon coffee miscellany

Usually, a morning coffee is enough to get me through the day, but today required an afternoon refill. I'm doing some database work and improving my study model. I thought I'd take a bit of a break with this miscellaneous post.

• My favorite dog breed, the pug, won best in its group last night at the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show. Tonight, Dermot the pug goes head to head for best in show! That means another opportunity for my family to hear me giggle and squeal with delight, "it's a PUG!"

• What am I listening to these days? The Avett Brothers, The Long Winters, Cat Power, Chris Mills, Liz Durrett, and Elliott Smith.

• The New York Times science writer, Gina Kolata, has an interesting analysis of the recent Women's Health Initiative study on dietary fat and cancer. The article is an exploration of a core belief that "we are what we eat." But this study focused on one component of what we eat: fats. I think the salient point of the article is found in this paragraph:

The truth, said Dr. David Altshuler, an endocrinologist and geneticist at Massachusetts General Hospital, is that while the Western diet and lifestyle are clearly important risk factors for chronic disease, tweaking diet in one way or another — a bit less fat or a few more vegetables — may not, based on studies like the Women's Health Initiative, have major effects on health. "We should limit strong advice to where randomized trials have proven a benefit of lifestyle modification," Dr. Altshuler wrote in an e-mail message.

• Now is the time of year when donations ebb from local food shelves, but demand remains strong. Today, on St. Valentine's Day, I suggest you "share the love" with a donation to your local food bank.

Posted by rigd0003 at 3:34 PM | General

Category "General"

Creating site icons for your blog

I just found out how to create those little icons () that show up next to your URL in Firefox and IE. It's actually quite easy. Here are some resources:

How to create a bookmark icon

Creating a favorites icon (favicon.ico) for your site - favourites, bookmarks icon

Creating favicons with Adobe Photoshop and Adobe GoLive

I used Adobe Photoshop Elements to create mine. It worked pretty well, but I started out with something too complex for the tiny size (16X16 pixels) and had to keep simplifying the image until I was satisfied. Have at it!

Posted by rigd0003 at 11:59 AM | General

Category "General"

Birthday haiku

balloons.jpg
Greeting everyone
with her special charm and wit,
laughter fills the room.

Happy Birthday, Mom!

Posted by rigd0003 at 11:40 AM | General

Category "General"

Abyssinian bliss

At lot of people ask me what an Abyssinian cat looks like. Here are some recent pictures of our two.

Aby1.jpg

Callie is of the ruddy variety. She's my personal stress-reduction trainer. Warning: This pose is very advanced and only recommended for professionals.

Aby2.jpg

And Pippin is of the blue variety, seen here proof-reading my dissertation. Hey, at least he's not asleep yet.

Posted by rigd0003 at 4:57 PM | General

Category "General"

At play...

snowshoeing.jpg

I'm having fun learning the HTML ropes. Here's a picture of me at play in the snow. This is from a month ago when my husband and I finally got to take our snowshoes out of storage. Since that big snowstorm, the Twin Cities has had 50 degree weather (melting all but the most sheltered snow), temps in the single digits, and some more snow. And we're not even to March (weather) Madness yet!

Posted by rigd0003 at 3:11 PM | General

Category "General"

Signing on

So I've decided to dive in to the blogging pool. I'm not sure how I'll use this, but check back and find out!

Posted by rigd0003 at 11:14 AM | General