If it's September... | Main | October baseball cricket

Crazy enough it just might win a prize

Nobel medal for medicine

I was happy to hear that Drs. Barry Marshall and J. Robin Warren of Australia won this year's Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine. I never really knew them by name, but simply as the Australian doctors with a kooky idea that turned out to be right. These are the fellows who had the bizarre notion that peptic ulcers might be an infectious disease caused by the spiral-shaped bacteria, Helicobacter pylori.

This is a great example of scientists who didn't take medical convention as absolute truth, but saw evidence with enough impartiality to search for answers wherever the evidence led them.

I came across a quote by Marcel Proust not too long ago, one which I think captures the spirit of Marshall and Warren's discovery:

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes."

Posted by rigd0003 at October 3, 2005 2:24 PM | Innovations

Amazing! Thanks to them we seldom hear about ulcers whereas not too many years ago they were a big problem.

Now if only someone would invent a leakproof washer, I'd really be a happy, old lady.

Posted by: Mom at October 4, 2005 3:27 PM