Giving aid to Katrina victims | Main | Time for a little Fall clean-up of your XP OS?

Handy Firefox extensions

UPDATED Sept. 19, 2005 (Adblock Extension)

Mozilla Firefox

The Firefox web browser is made even better through extensions - add-ons that add special functionality. Here are some I've found especially useful:

Adblock. This is a customizable filter to block all of those web page ads. And you can use the status bar at the bottom to see all the elements on a page and which of those are blocked. One feature I especially like is the option to not only just hide the ads, but to remove them, which removes the extra space that the ad took up. UPDATE: A feature in Adblock called OBJ-TABS is incompatible with Flash Player 8.0 (see news here). The only fix at this point is to turn off OBJ-TABS by going to Tools..Adblock..Preferences. OBJ-TABS is a feature that creates an Adblock tab next to suspicious objects on a page, making it easy to remove them by clicking on the tab. It is an extra function and not vital to the basic Adblock blocking ability.

Tabbrowser Preferences. I love tabs! If you prefer to open links in tabs rather than new windows, this extension gives you loads of options.

IE View. Unfortunately, there are still some pages that work best - or work only - in Internet Explorer. When you encounter one of these pages in Firefox and you have IE View installed, just right click and select "View page in IE." Internet explorer automatically launches and takes you directly to that page.

All-in-One Gestures. This is something I liked about Opera, and I'm thrilled that I can now use mouse gestures in Firefox. By making combinations of gestures like up, down, left, and right with your mouse while holding down the right mouse button, you can execute all sorts of commands.

OpenDownload. This is especially useful when downloading executable files. When the download begins, a dialog box opens with an "Open" or "Save" option. If "Open" is selected, the file will be downloaded and then launched via the default application set on your operating system. The downloaded file is then deleted from your system after 24 hours.

More extensions can be found here. They also have lots of extensions just for fun, like the Abe Vigoda Watch - Is Fish from Barney Miller still alive? Now you can see his status any time you want.

You can also subscribe to their RSS feed of the newest applications as they become available.

Happy surfing!

Posted by rigd0003 at September 3, 2005 1:48 PM | Cool web stuff

Don't forget about Greasemonkey!

It's quite powerful.

Posted by: Allanimal at September 4, 2005 10:51 AM