Unseen. Unforgotten.: Newly-published photos of Birmingham civil rights movement | Main | Caffeine for your PC

MidWest Haze Cam

St. Paul Hazecam

The sky looked really hazy driving in to work today. I was surprised that our local Air Quality Index (AQI) wasn't elevated above "moderate" when I checked the MPCA web site. The AQI is a composite score based on ground-level ozone, sulfur dioxide, carbon monoxide and fine particles (PM2.5).

But I found out at MPCA's site that there's an even better way to get a sense of local air quality -- the MidWest Hazecam. The site has live camera shots and fine particle and ozone data for many big cities in the Upper Midwest/Great Lakes states. You can also link to it through the EPA's AIRNow site, which gives national forecasts for air quality along with several public health resources. And it's got several great maps. Did you know the U.S. Forest Service has air quality images? Here's one for the Boundary Waters.

Posted by rigd0003 at March 29, 2006 10:06 AM | Environment | Public Health | Science!

looks like it's hazy everywhere today!

Posted by: naomi at March 30, 2006 4:34 PM