« 'Girls Gone Wild' Producer Says He Was Abused in Jail | Main | Hastings cop may lose job »

Gradution rates increase at the U of M

The Star Tribune features a story about the University of Minnesota Twin Cities, and its reputation based on graduation statistics.

The story starts with an anecdotal lead about a student who graduated in 3 and a half years. I thought it did a good job introducing the story by applying a general trend to a specific student.

The story continues by saying that graduation rates after four and six years, though increasing heavily, are still the lowest of the 10 other schools in which Minnesota compares itself.

I felt the article did a good job of balancing quotes and statistics to tell a story, and showed the issue from many perspectives.

I was, however, confused by the last quote of the story from Robert Bruininks: "When you think of being able to get into the labor force a year earlier and you think about that in terms of lifetime earning, it can mean as much as $1 million over the course of your lifetime."

I do not understand on what he is basing this vague statistic, and I do not understand why the reporter chose to end on this confusing quote.