August 23, 2007

Minutes -- Tuesday August 23, 2007

Meeting location & time: KPlz 172 9-10AM
Present: Liz Benson Johnson, Sunshine Carter, Jason Davis, Paul Hanson, Kyle Harriss, Rory Litwin, Mary Olson-Reed
Recorder: Sunshine Carter

Work will begin on moving the Basic Access computers into the Multimedia Viewing Area (MMVA) of the library. Furniture needs to be rearranged and connections need to be established once the media viewing equipment is moved to its new location. Jason will arrange for a team of workers to help move the current cubicle dividers and tables. Paul will remove the signage to the MMVA.

Sunshine will continue to work with Rick Brill and Mary Olson-Reed on signage. The IC team decided to use the computer signage with the white background and the maroon print. A sign directing users to the Multimedia Hub will be designed and printed.

There is no news from Vince yet on the proposal.

Liz announced she will be the temporary head of Circulation for a one-year period following the retirement of Adele Krusz. The library will be hiring a library consultant to evaluation a possible reorganization.

A discussion followed on possible ways to move forward. Suggestions included a coffee cart, video kiosks, presentation rooms and writing & tutoring centers.

Next meeting: There are no more meetings scheduled for our group.

August 21, 2007

Minutes -- August 21 2007

Meeting location & time: L142 9-10AM
Present: Liz Benson Johnson, Gordee Bennett, Jason Davis, Paul Hanson, Kyle Harriss, Rory Litwin
Recorder: Rory Litwin

The Media Hub is fully operational in its new location. Full access machines have been moved to their new 3rd floor location but are not yet up and running. Mary Olson-Reed has a temporary office in the utility space behind room 119. Liz proposed using Adele's office as office space for Mary after Adele's retirement, also a temporary move. Basic access machines are ready to move into their new area after Sun Rays are moved out.

Rick Brill had ITSS's student graphic designer create some signage to designate Full and Basic access areas. This signage was discussed in relation to the ITSS branding that is on the signs, since the Basic Access signs will be identifying non-ITSS computers. The decision was to use ITSS's brand/logo only on the Full Access computers. There will also be green signs made for any equipment intended for public use (like the guest computers and the media viewing/listening stations that are moving to the 3rd floor).

We will try a Wednesday morning coffee and donut hole service in the Fall semester in the library, on the first floor. Liz will look into further relaxing food rules to make this possible.

Discussion of plasma screens to display information in the library. Jason talked about a system in place in the Twin Cities that we can buy into. We would use their server package, software, and support. This system would allow us to centrally coordinate multiple monitors.

Liz will send out our original attribute matrix from our site-visit preparation for us to use to brainstorm activities for moving the Information Commons forward without making architectural changes.

July 18, 2007

Minutes -- Thursday July 17, 2007

Meeting location & time: L142 9-10AM
Present: Liz Benson Johnson, Gordee Bennett, Sunshine Carter, Jason Davis, Paul Hanson, Kyle Harriss, Rory Litwin, Mary Olson-Reed
Recorder: Sunshine Carter

1. Computers
a. Plans are still underway to move full access computers from L119 to the third floor.
b. Sunshine will work with Rick Brill to coordinate computer signage efforts
c. How should we arrange the computers (basic access vs. full access; Macs vs. PC)

2. Results of meeting with Vince Magnuson and Robert Krumwiede
a. Liz and Jason will need to re-edit executive summary and send to Vince.
b. Our group will focus on the concept of the Information Commons and the services we would be providing
c. The name of the project is going back to "Information Commons" from "Learning Commons."

Next Meeting: Thursday July 19, 2007
Recorder: Sunshine Carter

July 12, 2007

Minutes -- Thursday July 12, 2007

Meeting Location & time: KPLZ 173, 9:05-9:55
Present: Liz Benson Johnson, Gordee Bennett, Sunshine Carter, Jason Davis, Rory Litwin, Mary Olson-Reed,
Recorder: Sunshine Carter

1. Recap
a. Liz and Jason gave an overview of what's been happening over the past two months.
b. On June 27, 2007, Liz and Jason met with Vince Magnuson and presented their proposal to develop a Learning Commons at the UMD Library. The proposal will be expanded and fleshed out more in the areas of cost and research.
c. On July 13, 2007, Liz and Jason will do a walk through of the library with Bill Sozansky, Vince Magnuson and Robert Krumwiede. Mary will work on a slide show of learning common photos to present during the walk through.

2. Multi-Media Hub Plan
a. Move Hub into L119 (try to use furniture already there)
b. Put full access computers from L119 on Library 3rd floor
c. Put multimedia viewing equipment into "lost triangle" area of Library 1st floor (tentative)
d. Put basic access computers into old multimedia viewing area

3. Moving forward
a. Reference will be consulted concerning types and location of reference services
b. Tentatively have Hub moved by Thursday August 30, 2007 (Bulldog Bash starts next day)
b. Compile a list of what equipment is moving where (UNASSIGNED)
c. We'll need signage for computer monitors (Full vs. Basic) and banners for 1st floor (SUNSHINE)
d. The logistical aspects of the Multi-Media Hub move will need to be coordinated (JASON)
e. Get move information into The UMD Statesman, whether advertisement or feature article (RORY)
f. Establish a meeting time between the group and David Beard (Asst. Professor, Composition), who has overseen a group of students working on a UMD Library learning commons project. (RORY)

Next Meeting: Tuesday July 17, 2007
Recorder: Sunshine

June 25, 2007

June 26 Meeting Agenda

Time: 9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
Place: L 142
Meeting Leader: Liz
Recorder: TBD

AGENDA

1. Update on Work of Team
*My Conundrum
*Time/Best use of time
--Continue to create plans or concentrate on what is in our control?
--Count down to fall. How much time do we need to move Media Hub?
*Approval
--Need to determine level of support from Chancellor/Vice Chancellor
--Need authorization to work with architect
--Need authorization to discuss ideas with other stakeholders, e.g. Food Services

2. Plan de jour
*Present an executive summary/project description & update to Vice Chancellor ASAP—scheduled for Wednesday, June 27
*Do what we can do to get ready for Fall—concentrate on what is in our control
*In Fall gather input from students, Library staff and ITSS staff, work with architect, plan, present plans to all stakeholders, develop and present budgets

3. Review rough draft of executive summary/project description for input

4. Next meeting—planning for Fall Semester. What is in our control?
Media Hub
Equipment check out
Multi-media viewing stations
Other?

June 6, 2007

June 7 Meeting Agenda

Time: 9:05 a.m. - 9:50 a.m.
Place: KPlz 172
Meeting Leader: Liz
Recorder: TBA

AGENDA

1. Show and Tell--Rough draft of Proposal A
Kyle and I sketched out some of the ideas that we discussed at our meeting on Tuesday. I'd like to share them with the group and get your feedback. Kyle will bring extra blank floor plans for you to draw up your ideas.

2. What goes where?
Let's start a list of possible space assignments for different components and services

3. What happens first? second? third?
We need to identify what moves need to happen for Fall 2007 -- Phase I
We need to identify the sequence of moves and the impact and create a timeline

4. What are the givens/absolutes, stumbling blocks, what could change, etc.

5. What data do we need? what data do we have?

6. Do we have a proposal B and/or C?

7. Set a deadline for presenting proposals to Bill, the Library Management Team, and other stakeholders


June 4, 2007

June 5 meeting Agenda

Time: 9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
Place: L 142
Meeting Leader: Liz
Recorder: TBD

AGENDA

1. Multi-Media Hub
b. Liz will clarify with Bill timeline for moving Hub--Beginning of Fall 2007
c. Liz and Gordee will gather usage statistics for L115, L116, L118, L119
d. Jason--Is it possible to meet with ITSS at their Thursday June 7, 2007 meeting?
Comments on our "Very Tentative Plan"
-Put Hub in L119
-Put full-access computers from L119 into Multimedia Viewing area, L118 and in back triangle by bestsellers
-Put Multimedia Viewing equipment up on Third Floor (by microfilm readers)

Items carrired forward from May 31 Agenda

2. Update on Preliminary Deadlines
--June 1 Sponsors & Team Leaders meet with all potential stakeholders & report back
--June 1 Submit a generic work order to FM for Phase I work

3. Input from Bill
--Open up second floor for more collaborative work stations
--How to do this?
--Meet with Rick Brill for ideas about collaborative furniture and equipment set ups?
--Meet with Kathryn Fuller, Head of Reference to discuss her ideas about the Learning Commons and impact on reference service?
--Meet with Brian Morse from SJA?

4. Field trip to Mpls
-visit the S.M.A.R.T. Commons at Wilson or McGrath
-visit the Herman Miller showroom

5. Other

6. Items for next agenda

June 1, 2007

"Redesigning a Library Space for Collaborative Learning"

I read this article in the May 2007 issue of Computers in Libraries. Contact information for furniture companies is included. Click here to link to the article.

Redesigning a Library Space for Collaborative Learning. By: Gabbard, Ralph B.; Kaiser, Anthony; Kaunelis, David. Computers in Libraries, May2007, Vol. 27 Issue 5, p6-11

Abstract:
The article presents information on a project which involves redesigning a library space at Indiana State University for collaborative learning. The proposed new collaborative learning model for the university's library features personal computers, Windows XP Pro and full Office XP Suite. According to the authors, the collaborative workstations have been widely accepted by students, since their introduction in 2003. The collaborative workstations were place as far apart as possible to reduce the noise from each space.

May 31, 2007

Minutes -- Thursday May 31, 2007

Meeting Location & time: L142, 9:05-9:55
Present: Liz Benson Johnson, Gordee Bennett, Sunshine Carter, Rory Litwin, Paul Hanson
Recorder: Sunshine Carter

1. Multi-Media Hub
a. Brief review of field trip.
b. Liz will clarify with Bill timeline for moving Hub
c. Liz and Gordee will gather usage statistics for L115, L116, L118, L119
d. Is it possible to meet with ITSS at their Thursday June 7, 2007 meeting?
e. Very Tentative Plan?
-Put Hub in L119
-Put full-access computers from L119 into Multimedia Viewing area, L118 and in back triangle by bestsellers
-Put Multimedia Viewing equipment up on Third Floor (by microfilm readers)

Next Meeting: Tuesday June 5, 2007
Recorder: TBD

May 30, 2007

May 31 Meeting Agenda

Time: 9:05 a.m. - 9:55 a.m.
Place L 142
Meeting Leader: Liz
Needed: Recorder

AGENDA

1. Multi-Media Hub
-Review field trip
-Do we want/need to meet with faculty who make assignments in MM Hub to learn about their expectations?
-Next steps

2. Update on Preliminary Deadlines
--June 1 Sponsors & Team Leaders meet with all potential stakeholders & report back
--June 1 Submit a generic work order to FM for Phase I work

3. Input from Bill
--Open up second floor for more collaborative work stations
--How to do this?
--Meet with Rick Brill for ideas about collaborative furniture and equipment set ups?
--Meet with Kathryn Fuller, Head of Reference to discuss her ideas about the Learning Commons and impact on reference service?
--Meet with Brian Morse from SJA?

4. Field trip to Mpls
-visit the S.M.A.R.T. Commons at Wilson or McGrath
-visit the Herman Miller showroom

5. Other

6. Items for next agenda

May 24, 2007

How to send notifications

Okay, how to do notifications:

When you first make an entry, click save instead of publish.

Then it will come back with the same editing window, but with some tabs above the edit frame. The rightmost tab is labeled "notifications."

You click that, and you can send the notification from the next screen.

I discovered that I can't send a notification for another person's post unless I make myself the author of it, which I will not do unless there is specific reason to. So, that means it's up to any of us posting to make sure to do the notification step.

Thanks, Liz, for the notification tips.

user input for naming the reference desk

Here is a small thread from the Facebook group on Information Commonses:

Topic: Information Commons Issues

Displaying all 3 posts by 2 people.

Post #1
Lorre Smith (SUNY Albany) wrote on May 14, 2007 at 11:20 AM
Hi, We're adding Information Commons services and creating a space near our reference desk and looking at ideas regarding how to promote reference services. We want to let people who come into the Commons know more about our reference services. Would anyone like to share ideas that you've felt are successful?

Post #2
Emily Alling (UMass) replied to Lorre's post on May 15, 2007 at 1:10 PM
One seemingly small thing you could do (and maybe have already) is get user input as to what you name the reference service point. Here at UMass Amherst, the service points in our Learning Commons were named as a result of student focus groups. The Reference Desk became the Reference and Research Assistance Desk. There's a large sign with that name hanging over the desk. Our Learning Commons & Technical Support Desk is across the floor from it, and amazingly, users seem to get which is which. If they don't, it's a quick & easy referral to another service point within line of sight. Good luck!

Post #3
Lorre Smith (SUNY Albany) replied to Emily's post on May 17, 2007 at 6:38 AM
I like this idea. thanks!

Minutes -- Thursday May 24, 2007

Meeting Location & time: KPlz 173, 9:05-9:55
Present: All
Recorder: Sunshine Carter

1. Communication Mechanisms
a. Rory gave a brief demonstration on how to post to the blog.
b. Rory will add e-mail notification and categories to the blog. He will also remove the test entry.
c. The ground rules were approved.

2. Gathering input from students
a. The student survey sub-group will consist of Liz, Mary and Paul
b. They are tasked with drafting a student survey, determining when the survey will be done and where

3. Next meeting
a. Meeting will begin at The Hub, after which a first and second floor tour of the library will be given.
b. Kyle presented color coded floor plans.

Next Meeting: Tuesday May 29, 2007, starting at The Hub @ 9AM
Recorder: TBD

May 23, 2007

Agenda for May 24 Meeting

Learning Commons Planning & Information Team Meeting

Date: Thursday, May 24
Time: 9:05 - 9:55
Place: KPlz 173
Meeting Leader: Liz
Recorder: Sunshine

AGENDA

1. Communication Mechanisms
a. Rory will give a blog (http://blog.lib.umn.edu/rlitwin/lcplanning) demonstration/tutorial at the next meeting
b. Final review of groundrules

2. How to gather input from students
-Decide on surveying techniques and questions to ask
-Review technicalities of gathering input from students
-Create a subgroup responsible for surveying students?
-Further discuss the idea of forming a student [advisory] group

3. Possible topics for future agendas/plan future agendas
-Need to gather input from Head of Reference Kathryn Fuller. When do we meet with her to discuss her ideas @ Learning Commons?
-Field trip to Multi-Media Hub?
-Meet with Rick Brill for ideas about incorporating new furniture and equipment in GSRs?
-Walk about 1st and 2nd floors
-Need floor plans of Library
-Meet with faculty who make assignments in MM Hub to learn about their expectations?

4. Other


May 22, 2007

Ground Rules

Ground Rules
Learning Commons Planning & Implementation Team

1. Liz Benson Johnson will run the meetings; Jason Davis will run them in her absence. If Liz and Jason are both absent, no meeting will be held.
2. A quorum of team members is not required for decision making.
3. Agendas will be posted by the meeting leader to the Learning Commons blog* by 5PM the day prior to the meeting.
4. During the meetings we will have free discussion (without having a motion from the floor) as long as it pertains to the current agenda item. Voting will be informal unless the issue is contested, at which point we will formalize the process (motion, second, discussion, vote).Discussions will not be considered confidential unless so stated at the meeting.
5. The Learning Commons blog* should be a place for further discussions, comments, ideas
6. Minutes will be posted by the Recorder to the Learning Commons blog* by the end of the meeting day.
7. The members agrees not to undermine the decisions of the team
8. Ground rules can be revised at any time

* http://blog.lib.umn.edu/rlitwin/lcplanning/
Download file