Main | June 2007 »

May 31, 2007

Minutes -- Thursday May 31, 2007

Meeting Location & time: L142, 9:05-9:55
Present: Liz Benson Johnson, Gordee Bennett, Sunshine Carter, Rory Litwin, Paul Hanson
Recorder: Sunshine Carter

1. Multi-Media Hub
a. Brief review of field trip.
b. Liz will clarify with Bill timeline for moving Hub
c. Liz and Gordee will gather usage statistics for L115, L116, L118, L119
d. Is it possible to meet with ITSS at their Thursday June 7, 2007 meeting?
e. Very Tentative Plan?
-Put Hub in L119
-Put full-access computers from L119 into Multimedia Viewing area, L118 and in back triangle by bestsellers
-Put Multimedia Viewing equipment up on Third Floor (by microfilm readers)

Next Meeting: Tuesday June 5, 2007
Recorder: TBD

May 30, 2007

May 31 Meeting Agenda

Time: 9:05 a.m. - 9:55 a.m.
Place L 142
Meeting Leader: Liz
Needed: Recorder

AGENDA

1. Multi-Media Hub
-Review field trip
-Do we want/need to meet with faculty who make assignments in MM Hub to learn about their expectations?
-Next steps

2. Update on Preliminary Deadlines
--June 1 Sponsors & Team Leaders meet with all potential stakeholders & report back
--June 1 Submit a generic work order to FM for Phase I work

3. Input from Bill
--Open up second floor for more collaborative work stations
--How to do this?
--Meet with Rick Brill for ideas about collaborative furniture and equipment set ups?
--Meet with Kathryn Fuller, Head of Reference to discuss her ideas about the Learning Commons and impact on reference service?
--Meet with Brian Morse from SJA?

4. Field trip to Mpls
-visit the S.M.A.R.T. Commons at Wilson or McGrath
-visit the Herman Miller showroom

5. Other

6. Items for next agenda

May 24, 2007

How to send notifications

Okay, how to do notifications:

When you first make an entry, click save instead of publish.

Then it will come back with the same editing window, but with some tabs above the edit frame. The rightmost tab is labeled "notifications."

You click that, and you can send the notification from the next screen.

I discovered that I can't send a notification for another person's post unless I make myself the author of it, which I will not do unless there is specific reason to. So, that means it's up to any of us posting to make sure to do the notification step.

Thanks, Liz, for the notification tips.

user input for naming the reference desk

Here is a small thread from the Facebook group on Information Commonses:

Topic: Information Commons Issues

Displaying all 3 posts by 2 people.

Post #1
Lorre Smith (SUNY Albany) wrote on May 14, 2007 at 11:20 AM
Hi, We're adding Information Commons services and creating a space near our reference desk and looking at ideas regarding how to promote reference services. We want to let people who come into the Commons know more about our reference services. Would anyone like to share ideas that you've felt are successful?

Post #2
Emily Alling (UMass) replied to Lorre's post on May 15, 2007 at 1:10 PM
One seemingly small thing you could do (and maybe have already) is get user input as to what you name the reference service point. Here at UMass Amherst, the service points in our Learning Commons were named as a result of student focus groups. The Reference Desk became the Reference and Research Assistance Desk. There's a large sign with that name hanging over the desk. Our Learning Commons & Technical Support Desk is across the floor from it, and amazingly, users seem to get which is which. If they don't, it's a quick & easy referral to another service point within line of sight. Good luck!

Post #3
Lorre Smith (SUNY Albany) replied to Emily's post on May 17, 2007 at 6:38 AM
I like this idea. thanks!

Minutes -- Thursday May 24, 2007

Meeting Location & time: KPlz 173, 9:05-9:55
Present: All
Recorder: Sunshine Carter

1. Communication Mechanisms
a. Rory gave a brief demonstration on how to post to the blog.
b. Rory will add e-mail notification and categories to the blog. He will also remove the test entry.
c. The ground rules were approved.

2. Gathering input from students
a. The student survey sub-group will consist of Liz, Mary and Paul
b. They are tasked with drafting a student survey, determining when the survey will be done and where

3. Next meeting
a. Meeting will begin at The Hub, after which a first and second floor tour of the library will be given.
b. Kyle presented color coded floor plans.

Next Meeting: Tuesday May 29, 2007, starting at The Hub @ 9AM
Recorder: TBD

May 23, 2007

Agenda for May 24 Meeting

Learning Commons Planning & Information Team Meeting

Date: Thursday, May 24
Time: 9:05 - 9:55
Place: KPlz 173
Meeting Leader: Liz
Recorder: Sunshine

AGENDA

1. Communication Mechanisms
a. Rory will give a blog (http://blog.lib.umn.edu/rlitwin/lcplanning) demonstration/tutorial at the next meeting
b. Final review of groundrules

2. How to gather input from students
-Decide on surveying techniques and questions to ask
-Review technicalities of gathering input from students
-Create a subgroup responsible for surveying students?
-Further discuss the idea of forming a student [advisory] group

3. Possible topics for future agendas/plan future agendas
-Need to gather input from Head of Reference Kathryn Fuller. When do we meet with her to discuss her ideas @ Learning Commons?
-Field trip to Multi-Media Hub?
-Meet with Rick Brill for ideas about incorporating new furniture and equipment in GSRs?
-Walk about 1st and 2nd floors
-Need floor plans of Library
-Meet with faculty who make assignments in MM Hub to learn about their expectations?

4. Other


May 22, 2007

Ground Rules

Ground Rules
Learning Commons Planning & Implementation Team

1. Liz Benson Johnson will run the meetings; Jason Davis will run them in her absence. If Liz and Jason are both absent, no meeting will be held.
2. A quorum of team members is not required for decision making.
3. Agendas will be posted by the meeting leader to the Learning Commons blog* by 5PM the day prior to the meeting.
4. During the meetings we will have free discussion (without having a motion from the floor) as long as it pertains to the current agenda item. Voting will be informal unless the issue is contested, at which point we will formalize the process (motion, second, discussion, vote).Discussions will not be considered confidential unless so stated at the meeting.
5. The Learning Commons blog* should be a place for further discussions, comments, ideas
6. Minutes will be posted by the Recorder to the Learning Commons blog* by the end of the meeting day.
7. The members agrees not to undermine the decisions of the team
8. Ground rules can be revised at any time

* http://blog.lib.umn.edu/rlitwin/lcplanning/
Download file

Minutes -- Tuesday May 22, 2007

Meeting Location & Time: L142, 9-10am
Present: Liz Benson Johnson, Gordee Bennet, Sunshine Carter, Paul Hanson, Kyle Harriss, Rory Litwin,

1. Communication Mechanisms
a. Rory will give a blog (http://blog.lib.umn.edu/rlitwin/lcplanning) demonstration/tutorial at the next meeting
b. The UCal group alias 'libcommons' is now working
c. The e-mail alias 'infocommons' is now working
d. Communication to members outside this group will be determined as needed

2. Ground Rules
a. The ground rules for the LCPIT were developed.Download file

3. Preliminary Deadlines
a. June 1: Sponsors & Team Leaders meet with all potential stakeholders & report back
b. June 1: Submit a generic work order to FM for Phase 1 work
c. June 15: Rough out which resources going where and in which phase

4. Items for next agenda
a. Scope of potential AV check-out
b. Implementation plan
c. Communication plan
d. Student involvement: We will need to gather input from students. Next meeting we will work on the questions to ask and the technicalities of gathering input and forming a student group. Please brainstorm/research questions we should ask students.

5. Other
a. Rory will ask infocommons-l for comments pertaining to student input and questioning.
b. Rory will provide information for joining infocommons-l
c. Sunshine will ask web4lib-l for examples of student questionnaires.

Next meeting: Thursday May 24, 2007 in KPLZ 173
Recorder: Sunshine Carter

May 16, 2007

Agenda for May 22 meeting

Learning Commons Planning & Information Team Meeting

Date: Tuesday, May 22
Time: 9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
Place: L 142
Meeting Leader: Liz

AGENDA

1. Review communication mechanisms
A. UMD Learning Commons blog
-Blog is up and running thanks to Rory.
-Brief introduction to how to use the blog by Rory.
B. UCal group alias libcommons is working
C. E-mail alias infocommons
-Add Gordee, Mary, and Sunshine?
D. How to communicate to others (students, ITSS, Lib staff)?

2. Establish Ground Rules, continued

3. Review Preliminary Deadlines

June 1 Sponsors & Team Leaders meet with all potential stakeholders & report back
June 1 Submit a generic work order to FM for Phase I work
June 15 Rough out which resources going where and in which phase

4. Review other important tasks not outlined in charge
*Determine scope of potential AV check-out
*Create detailed implementation plans
*Design communication plans (including ways to get input from staff and students during planning)

5. Other

6. Items for next agenda

May 15, 2007

Minutes -- Tuesday May 15, 2007

Meeting Location & Time: LAnnex 250, 9-10am
Present: Liz Benson Johnson, Jason Davis, Gordee Bennet, Sunshine Carter, Paul Hanson, Kyle Harriss, Rory Litwin, Mary Olson-Reed

1. Introductions were made

2. The Team description & charge was reviewed

3. Ground Rules
a. Sunshine Carter will be the recorder
b. The minutes will be posted on the blog "UMD Learning Commons" (Rory Litwin will set-up the blog).
c. A quorum will not be required at meetings for decision-making moments
d. Liz Benson Johnson will run the meetings; Jason Davis will run them in her absence.
e. Ground rules will be discussed at the next meeting.
f. Everyone should have the opportunity to participate in discussions

4. Set a standing meeting time
a. Meetings will be held every Tuesday (9-10a) and Thursday (9:05-9:55a). The Tuesday meetings will be held in Library 142 and the Thursday meetings will be held in KPlz 173.

Next meeting: Thursday May 17, 2007 in Library 142


May 10, 2007

1st Learning Commons Planning & Implementation Team meeting

All,

Jason and I are looking forward to working with you on planning and implementing a Learning Commons for UMD students in the Library.

The Library Management Team has approved our team description and charge. It is located at: https://www.d.umn.edu/lib/libstaff/teams/team_descriptions/index.html

The kickoff meeting for the Learning Commons Planning & Implementation Team is scheduled for Tuesday, May 15 from 9:00 a.m. - 10 a.m. in Library Annex 250.

AGENDA

1. Introductions
2. Review Team description & charge
3. Establish ground rules
4. Set a standing meeting time
**Everyone please have your calendar up to date for summer

Preliminary deadlines
June 1 Sponsors & Team Leaders meet with all potential stakeholders & report back
June 1 Submit a generic work order to FM for Phase I work
June 15 Rough out which resources going where and in which phase

Other important tasks not outlined in charge
*Determine scope of potential AV check-out
*Create detailed implementation plans
*Design communication plans (including ways to get input from staff and students during planning)

Our main goal this summer is to relocate the Multimedia Hub to the Library by mid-August so that we're ready for Fall semester.

Jason and Liz