« June 2007 | Main | August 2007 »

July 18, 2007

Minutes -- Thursday July 17, 2007

Meeting location & time: L142 9-10AM
Present: Liz Benson Johnson, Gordee Bennett, Sunshine Carter, Jason Davis, Paul Hanson, Kyle Harriss, Rory Litwin, Mary Olson-Reed
Recorder: Sunshine Carter

1. Computers
a. Plans are still underway to move full access computers from L119 to the third floor.
b. Sunshine will work with Rick Brill to coordinate computer signage efforts
c. How should we arrange the computers (basic access vs. full access; Macs vs. PC)

2. Results of meeting with Vince Magnuson and Robert Krumwiede
a. Liz and Jason will need to re-edit executive summary and send to Vince.
b. Our group will focus on the concept of the Information Commons and the services we would be providing
c. The name of the project is going back to "Information Commons" from "Learning Commons."

Next Meeting: Thursday July 19, 2007
Recorder: Sunshine Carter

July 12, 2007

Minutes -- Thursday July 12, 2007

Meeting Location & time: KPLZ 173, 9:05-9:55
Present: Liz Benson Johnson, Gordee Bennett, Sunshine Carter, Jason Davis, Rory Litwin, Mary Olson-Reed,
Recorder: Sunshine Carter

1. Recap
a. Liz and Jason gave an overview of what's been happening over the past two months.
b. On June 27, 2007, Liz and Jason met with Vince Magnuson and presented their proposal to develop a Learning Commons at the UMD Library. The proposal will be expanded and fleshed out more in the areas of cost and research.
c. On July 13, 2007, Liz and Jason will do a walk through of the library with Bill Sozansky, Vince Magnuson and Robert Krumwiede. Mary will work on a slide show of learning common photos to present during the walk through.

2. Multi-Media Hub Plan
a. Move Hub into L119 (try to use furniture already there)
b. Put full access computers from L119 on Library 3rd floor
c. Put multimedia viewing equipment into "lost triangle" area of Library 1st floor (tentative)
d. Put basic access computers into old multimedia viewing area

3. Moving forward
a. Reference will be consulted concerning types and location of reference services
b. Tentatively have Hub moved by Thursday August 30, 2007 (Bulldog Bash starts next day)
b. Compile a list of what equipment is moving where (UNASSIGNED)
c. We'll need signage for computer monitors (Full vs. Basic) and banners for 1st floor (SUNSHINE)
d. The logistical aspects of the Multi-Media Hub move will need to be coordinated (JASON)
e. Get move information into The UMD Statesman, whether advertisement or feature article (RORY)
f. Establish a meeting time between the group and David Beard (Asst. Professor, Composition), who has overseen a group of students working on a UMD Library learning commons project. (RORY)

Next Meeting: Tuesday July 17, 2007
Recorder: Sunshine