New issue of the UMD Library Connection Newsletter

There's a new issue out of the bi-annual Library Connection Newsletter, now an online publication.

Contents include:

Lewis & Clark and the Indian Country
Call for NEMBA Nominations
Memo from the Director
Writing Tutors Set Up Shop
A Dedication and Passings
Library Guides
Student Fees Move to UM Pay Accounts
Hours: Finals Week and Winter Break

New Books and Videos

We maintain a page on the library website where you can always go to see what books and videos have been purchased recently. We update it monthly, and keep the lists archived on the site.

I like to go to that page regularly to see what we've been getting that I didn't know about.

At Your Service

Note to Philosophy students:

I just want to let you know that I'm available to help you with your research on projects in your major. Part of what I do, besides helping students at the reference desk, selecting books, and teaching instruction sessions, is helping students with their research in my office. So if you're stuck trying to find good resources for a project or just want to improve your research skills, contact me and make an appointment. Here is my contact info:

Rory Litwin
Librarian for Philosophy
Office: Library 268 (2nd floor)
Phone: 726-7896
Email: rlitwin@d.umn.edu

I hope to hear from you.

Welcome Back

Greetings to Philosophy students and faculty at UMD. I hope you had a great summer. I did.

Here you will find news about the library's services, especially new resources for the study of Philosophy.

I look forward to assisting you with your research. Feel free to drop by my office in the library, room 268, on the second floor.

Cheers...

Fancy Linking Guide

This is for faculty....

I have been working on a collection of web pages on the UMD Library website that give instructions on some fancy ways to link to library resources. We have a lot of things you might want to link to in your course web pages or course WebCT or Moodle sites that require a bit more than copying and pasting a link. To explore what those are and get the instructions, visit my Guide to Linking to Library Resources. I'd appreciate any feedback you have to offer.

Recent Acquisitions

The Library has added a web page listing our new acquisitions from the previous month. The list includes regular books, children's literature, teaching materials, reference books, bestsellers, and multimedia items. There will be a new list each month at the same location on the website. It's a very nice way to get a sense of what we are buying to support the University's needs.

UMD Library Connection Newsletter

The new issue of the UMD Library Connection newsletter is out. It includes items on the upcoming Northeast Minnesota Book Awards (NEMBA), the kids from the Children's Place who come in and use the library on Tuesdays, the new statewide 24-hour online reference service AskMN, profiles of three of our student employees, and other interesting news.

New Library Newsletter

The new issue of the UMD Library's Newsletter, the Library Connection, is out. It's out in print and online as well. This issue has items about this semester's Student Video Contest, the transfer of the Media Hub to the library, the call for nominations for next year's Northeast Minnesota Book Awards, an article on the David Berman exhibit and event, and other news.

Library Collections page

The library website has an updated section about the various collections in the library. There is a page for each collection, and the majority of these collections can be searched separately from those pages.

The collections you'll find there include:

Audiobooks
Bestsellers
Books
Center for Economic Development
Children's Literature
DVD/Video
E-Books
Government Documents
Microform
Music Recordings
NRRI
Northeast Minnesota Historical Center
Plays
Ramseyer-Northern Bible Society Museum
Reference Collection
Special Collections
Teaching Materials
Tweed Museum Library
Voyageur Collection

Instant Messaging update

The reference department has set up a "chat widget," which allows anyone to chat with a librarian at the reference desk by going to the "Ask Us" page. This chat doesn't require the user to have any kind of account with any instant messaging service. I think this is pretty nifty.

Additionally, I offer chat service from my office to students and faculty in my subject areas. My IM accounts:

• AIM: umdlibraryrory

• MSN: umdlibraryrory@hotmail.com

• GTalk: umdlibraryrory@gmail.com

• ICQ: 347078118

I hope some folks find these services useful.

Library Acquisitions, 2006-2007

Here is an Excel file listing all of the books we acquired for the Philosophy Department last year.

Spring 2007 UMD Library Newsletter

The Spring issue of The Library Connection, the UMD Library's newsletter, has been sent out in print form and uploaded to the web. Enjoy the news from the library....

UMD Library Newsletter Fall 2006

UMD Library Newsletter Fall 2006: The Library Connection: A Newsletter for Friends of the UMD Library.

Citation Linker

I want to just mention a little-known service of the library website: the Citation Linker. This allows you to put in a citation to an article, and the system will attempt to link you directly to that article in one of our databases. Take it for a spin...

Online encyclopedias of philosophy

The library is providing access to a number of online encyclopedias, including the new, major work, the Gale/Macmillan Encyclopedia of Philosophy, which was released in 2006. In its print version this is a ten volume work. Our access to it is online, which many of you will find useful. This acquisition was strongly recommended by Jim Fetzer.

We also recently acquired a briefer work in electonic form, Routledge's Concise Encyclopedia of Western Philosophy, which was published in 2005.

In addition, for users on the campus network (on campus only, not VPN) there is Routledge's larger Encyclopedia of Philosophy, another major work.

Of course, the world also has access to the ever improving Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.