« Prompt One: Midtown Market | Main | A First Created »

Childhood = Mud Pies

Blog5.jpg
Verse:
Blog4.jpg

I would go so far as to say that I am an advocate for this issue. I will also go so far as to say that I carry a bit of a bias but I am willing to take on any debate about the subject.

Children need SPACE to grow! Space is that of the equivalent to a yard, grass, fresh air, fresh anything. They just need space. This is where I believe that creativity is spawn from. Children don’t learn how to become amazing chefs, serving mud pies to the neighborhood, in the confinement of a four walled living space. They don’t learn how to construct architectural masterpieces without first building a sound sandcastle.

If not obvious, I grew up in an environment large enough to spread my wings, swing from the tree branches, and to be able to hide from my sister and not be found for hours if wanted.

I will admit my experience is limited, but it seems to me that children who grow up in larger cities don’t get to experience a fair childhood. They have no room to run and explore without the risk of getting hit by buses or, sadly, kidnapped by strangers. These are not unheard of in smaller towns, but they seemingly happen less often.

I am not oblivious to the facts, and do take serious consideration that not all family and living situations allow for such child rearing to occur. This is why I would encourage the development of better and more available park systems. These should be environments for children. A place for them to learn about life and its beauty, not about how to steal and cause potential trouble, is incalculable in the life of a child.

Let them explore the un-built environment for a change. They have the remainder of their lives to be enclosed.

Thank you for considering.