« Former VP under Hussein Executed | Main | Winslett and DiCaprio Reunite »

Eat Fruits and Veggies? You May Be Alone

Too few Americans are eating their fruits and veggies, CDC health officials said Thursday. A normal diet should consist of three servings of vegetables as well as two servings of fruits daily. However, many Americans are falling woefully short of this mark.

According to an AP report, younger adults, between the ages of 18 and 24, are the main purpretrators. Nearly 80 percent of people in this age group did not eat adequate amounts of these two essential food groups. Senior citizens, on the other hand, were most likely to follow the food pyramid's advice. About a third of this group meets satisfactory requirements.

A Science Daily report tied this alarming trend into the well publicisized trend of obesity. With nearly two-thirds of the U.S. adult population obese, a trend away from fruits and veggies is quite serious. For the obesity trend to reverse, more people need to embrace fruits and veggies daily.

While I enjoy veggies with my dinner and an occasional fruit in the morning, I admit that I may fit into the majority from my age group. I can understand why this trend is so prevelant. People are raised with a such a heavy emphasis on processed and packaged foods, and getting away from this can be hard. A good first step would be to begin drinking more juice and finding meals stocked with veggies. Slowly adopting healthier practices is much easier than doing it overnight.