« At Least 47 Killed in Somalia | Main | Food Safety Inspectors Head to China to Investigate Melamine. »

Baldwin Erupts on Voicemail to Daughter

An angry voicemail left by actor Alec Baldwin, 49, on his 11-year-old daughter's phone was released by TMZ.com on Thursday. In the message, Baldwin cussed several times and ranted to his daughter about how mad he was that she didn't answer a scheduled phone call. He also repeatedly called her a "rude, thoughtless little pig".

On Friday, the actor apologized for his comments and expressed remorse that this was released by the media.

"Although I have been told by numerous people not to worry too much, as all parents lose their patience with their kids, I am most saddened that this was released to the media," Baldwin said on his Web site. "I'm sorry, as everyone who knows me is aware, for losing my temper with my child."

Baldwin and ex-wife Kim Basinger have been involved in a custody dispute over daughter Ireland since 2002. According to the AP, Baldwin's attorney filed a motion to deterrmine how the tape leaked. If Basinger's side had anything to do with the leak, then Basinger would have violated court orders to keep the proceedings closed.

Mike Cassidy, a columnist for the San Jose Mercury News, was highly critical of Baldwin in a Friday article, calling him the "thoughtless pig." Cassidy said that although pre-teen daughers (of which he has one) can be frustrating, they still must be treated with patience and love.

"Here's the thing, Alec: My daughter is 12 and I'm not. It's her job to at times be self-centered, irrepressible, relentless, stubborn, opinionated, independent. Same with your daughter. And it's your job to be her dad."