Final Blog Entry

I'm using my final blog entry to reflect on my final project progress. I've really enjoyed the process of applying Instructional Design methodology to a project that I will use for work. One of the things I'm interested in doing is to take a hard look at the tour guide training course that I teach each year, and think about how that course could be refined and revised based on Instructional Design. I think this is a topic that I could also present at conferences since I know its something that other museum professionals are not doing. At the same time, the process of putting together the website for my final project presentation has been just so fun and satisfying, it definitely makes me think that I would like to be able to do more of that kind of designing in my work. This course has taught me alot, especially through the case studies and these presentations at the end of the class. The real world aspect is what I think is so valuable. In other words, what exactly do Instructional Designers do? Rather than a heavy focus on theory.

Posted by royxx017 at 9:24 AM

Final Project- thoughts

Well, I wasn't sure what to reflect on today, so I thought I would write up a few thoughts regarding my final project. I'm feeling very unclear about what my final project should be. I've written up some of a draft of the needs analysis, learner analysis, etc. but I am sort of feeling as thoughh what I'm trying to do is a bit vague. I want to go through the ID process to analyze the success of the website I developed in the last class, but now I am starting to think that I should maybe focus on adding a specific component to the website, and what that might be- rather than trying to analyze the whole thing (which in truth has some learner oriented modules, but also is used as an information site). Well, I guess going through this process has been helpful since I feel as though my project is getting more defined as I work through somet things. I'll just have to revisit the stuff I've written so far...

Posted by royxx017 at 8:29 PM

Reflections on Project Based Learning

The discussion on Project-Based Learning was very interesting to me, as I had never really considered this type of Instructional Design Model. I think we could have spent even more time on it in class, as it seemed to elicit strong opinions. One of the comments that was raised, was that with project based learning- do you even need an Instructional Designer since the students do so much in terms of deciding what kind of learning will take place. However, even with such a constructivist learning environment, it still seems as though there is a role for the Instructional Designer in terms of setting parameters for the project based experience (I think of this as similar to our final project- in that the final goal is very open, but there are some general parameters given in terms of content and due dates). I might not completely understand project based learning, but the fact that the school we talked about has used it so successfully is intriguing. I also find it interesting that someone would ask "what is the value in that?" about this method, since constructivist learning seems to forward thinking, valuable, and pretty much accepted now as a valuable strategy. Even though in class, the idea was being discussed pretty much only with kids, I started thinking about ways I could incorporate at least elements of it, into my work with adult learners.

Posted by royxx017 at 12:04 PM

Reflection- March 1

I do believe that the front end analysis/data can and should impact whether a constructist or behaviorist model/framework is used or applied. I used the example in class, that depending on the subject being taught (for example) this might dictate the type of learning environment that works best. For example, in a corporate, business, manufacturing, etc. environment, there may be certain concrete skills that absolutely need to be taught. A behaviorist model may in fact be the best (and possibly even necessary) in this kind of scenario.

Posted by royxx017 at 9:22 PM

ID Model Assignment

Janine and I did our Instructional Design Model presentation, and presented the Hannafin/Peck Model. Upon reflection, I think it went ok. I found the idea of the model interesting, and as I've mentioned on this blog before, I feel that evaluation is so important, and often gets left behind, particularly formative evaluation. I felt that the Hannafin/Peck Model tries to build that into the process. Originally Janine and I felt the model was "streamlined" but through the discussion I realized that it actually might be more complex than can really be achieved due to the complexities of evaluation. I still am not quite clear on how these "models" are actually used, apart from purely theoretical frameworks.

Posted by royxx017 at 9:18 PM

Reflection on Class 6

The most interesting aspect of the Sam Gonzales case study that was presented was the discussion regarding evaluation. Formative and summative evaluation is so important, with perhaps formative evaluation being the most important. However, when evaluation is overlooked (as is often the case), I think its the formative evaluation that often gets the short shrift- even though it seems as though evaluating the program during its formation may actually have more of an impact on its success than evaluation after the fact. Next week I will be going to Washington D.C. to attend an Institute of Museum and Library Services grant workshop on OBE- Outcome Based Evaluation. I will be interested to see how what I learn there can be tied to what I'm learning in this class and how I'm applying this learning to my role as an educator.

Posted by royxx017 at 8:15 PM

Reflection on class 4

I found the discussion on cultural differences very interesting, and actually thought it might relate very closely to the process of thinking about and developing learning activities. When developing learning activities, whether they're listening to lectures, group activities, tests or assignments, I think one thing to think about is the cultural and general backgrounds of the participants. For example, will people from some cultures feel less comfortable engaging in hands-on group activities? And if so, how do you deal with this without losing some of the valuable variety in the activities. Perhaps addressing peoples' feelings or uncertainties about engaging in various learning activities needs to be built into the instructional design.

Posted by royxx017 at 7:45 AM

Reflection on class 3

After the discussion regarding the Ross Caslon case study, my immediate thoughts went to how to engage a group of learners with a wide variety of backgrounds. Say your learner assessment shows some similarities, but any differences in terms of backgrounds, knowledge, experiences, motivation, etc. One thing you can do is try to build into a course a variety of learning activities, such as discussion, reading, presentations, group work, etc. that speak to a variety of learners. But the Ross Caslon case demonstrated any additional need for one on one counseling or mentoring, which I think often must be a part of a course in order to meet the needs of learners with disparate backgrounds. Ross may need to meet with each of the teachers in the study individually to show them what WebPath could do for them, rather than trying to rely on an Instructional Design- one size fits all idea.

Posted by royxx017 at 7:44 PM

Reflection on Assessment

I found the Chapter on outcomes and assessments interesting for a few reasons. Primarily in regards to how the topics discussed relate to what I currently do in my job. However, as I plan tour guide training I often incorporate ways to assess the guides' performance, and I have a knowledge of what I want the outcome of the course to be, but I realize there is something missing in how I've been approaching this topic so far. For example, I think going through the process of actually writing objectives (or outcomes) and actually sharing those with the guides (perhaps including it as part of the syllabus) could be very helpful to us all. For example, something like:

The trainee will be able to successfully give a 1 hour tour on the Walker's permanent collection or Minneapolis Sculpture Garden to visitors of any age, successfully leading a discussion about 8-10 works of art.

Also, I've been testing them in the same way since I started 5 years ago (a performance-based evaluation), and maybe its time to think about some other ways of measuring outcomes?

Posted by royxx017 at 3:41 PM

Welcome

Welcome to my blog. This is where I will post reflections, thoughts, and ideas related to the class CI5336: Planning for Multimedia Design & Development.

Posted by royxx017 at 5:22 PM