What has surprised you?

You've all had a bit over a week of classes so far. What has surprised you about the U (or about yourself?)? What didn't you expect?

Posted by rude0044 at 10:03 AM You're a Gopher!

Einstein on the Importance of the Humanities

"It is not enough to teach a man a specialty. Through it he may become a kind of useful machine, but not a harmoniously developed personality. It is essential that the student acquire an understanding of and a lively feeling for values. He must acquire a vivid sense of the beautiful and of the morally good.....He must learn to understand the motives of human beings, their illusions and their sufferings, in order to acquire a proper relationship to individual fellow men and to the community. These precious things are conveyed to the younger generation through personal contact with those who teach, not--or at least not in the main--through text books. It is this that primarily constitutes and preserves culture. This is what I have in mind when I recommend the "humanities" as important, not just dry specialized knowledge in the fields of history and philosophy. Overemphasis on the competitive system and premature specialization on the ground of immediate usefulness kill the spirit on which all cultural life depends, specialized knowledge included."

--Quoted in an interview by Benjamin Fine of the New York Times

Posted by rude0044 at 9:47 AM Value of the Liberal Arts

Week 2

Hope that everyone had a great first week of class and is enjoying being a student at the U!
How did your first week go? Has anything surprised you?

Just a reminder, we have class in the Bell Museum next week - we will be hearing Dean Rosenstone speak about the Liberal Arts Advantage. If you would like to submit a journal entry for this week - remember it is due by noon on Tuesday!

Have a great weekend!

Posted by coxx0157 at 11:03 AM Class Information/Updates

First and Second Meetings

Our first class will be September 7, 2:30-3:20 at 1701 University Avenue (Room 14). Where exactly is 1701 University Avenue? Click here to find out. At this first meeting we'll introduce ourselves in person, go over the syllabus for the semester, and have a bit of fun.

The second meeting will be on September 14 in the Bell Museum of Natural History. We will be listening to CLA Dean Rosenstone give insight into the value of a liberal arts education.

Posted by rude0044 at 8:14 AM Class Information/Updates

How are you preparing for your freshman year?

The summer is winding down rapidly! What have you done already or what do you plan to do to prepare for your first year at the U? This could be something as simple as purchasing your sheets and pillow, or something as complex as the mental readiness. What are you excited about? What are you nervous about (I'm sure others are feeling the same way you are!)? Do you have any questions we (your instructors or others in the class) can help you with?

Connect with your classmates even before you get to campus! Let us know what you're up to!

Posted by rude0044 at 8:06 AM Preparing for the U?

Welcome to CLA 1001!

Hello everyone! Welcome to CLA 1001: Introduction to College Life. I'd like us to use this category to introduce ourselves so we can get to know a bit about each other before the first day of class (September 7th!).

My name is Jen Rude and I am one of the instructors for this section of CLA 1001. I am an academic adviser in the Health & Natural Sciences Community (check out my bio on our staff list, http://hns.class.umn.edu). I'm very much looking forward to getting to know each of you and having a fun (and informative!) Fall semester. Cheers!

Posted by rude0044 at 8:03 AM Introductions