How Are You Two Doing Today?

Today's entry is dedicated to the power of a smile.

Friendliest Day At Work
Today at work I got to spend most of my time out among the guests working in the dining room...

Girlfriend Personality Test
Here's a non-scientific hardly feasible personality test I thought of for anyone that I am romantically interested in...

Friendliest Day At Work
Today at work I got to spend most of my time out among the guests working in the dining room. I had a lot of fun greeting everyone as they came in and went out. A lot of people smiled today because of me. : ) And with each smile I put on I became happier and happier. This was one of my favorite days working ever. There were only two people who didn't add to my joyful experience.

#1: Maybe 16 or 17, this girl had a major puss on, I said hi and asked her how she was and got nothing. On her way out I thanked her and her scowling face told her to have a great day, again no response. But sometimes no response is better than someone opening their mouth...

#2: A coworker, I think her name is Jessica. She asked me what she could help me with and when I said that she could help me stack the chairs on the tables, she replied, "We don't do that." So I had her do something else that "We do do" (haha) and had her round up the garbage. I don't even consider her behavior rude up to this point, because it's perfectly reasonable that nobody has the habit of stacking the chairs in order to clean the floor. But then she got pissed off because I started pulling out tables from booths to sweep on the floor that she already half-swept. I told her she could go, that I didn't need help. But she had already decided that I was a jerk who was cleaning the floor to the best of my ability in order to keep her from leaving. When she and the other three or four female coworkers left I said goodbye and goodnight to them all, she just said that I suck. Classy. Would anyone be shocked right now if I said that she has a tattoo on her back, on her waist, and wants another one on her ass? No?

Girlfriend Personality Test
Here's a non-scientific hardly feasible personality test I thought of for anyone that I am romantically interested in. Put her in the situation of being my coworker for a night and seeing how she reacts to my high work ethic. Especially how she would handle me re-doing something that she had done to help me, and what she would do if she was clocked out before me. It's not a feasible test, but I was just imagining what Shasha would be like if she worked with me tonight. Obviously not like Jessica, but I wonder if she would criticize my high standards. One thing's for sure, I'm sure she would be encouraging me to hurry up so that we could go do something fun before the weekend is over! :)

Posted by rufx0006 at 10:44 PM

Ketchup and/or Catsup

Today's entry is dedicated to anyone and everyone who is high on life.

I'm Back
I haven't left regular entries this past week due to some things that popped up, including a three-day stay at my friends Michelle and Mike's place, and my first couple days on the job Thursday and Friday. The same thing will probably happen next week...

Defining Fat
My girlfriend says she's fat, but what does she really mean? ...

I'm Back
I haven't left regular entries this past week due to some things that popped up, including a three-day stay at my friends Michelle and Mike's place, and my first couple days on the job Thursday and Friday. The same thing will probably happen next week as I'm going for another three-day stay at M&M's with plans to go kayaking, visit the State Fair, shop and play and the Mall of America, and walk around some of the Twin Cities' lakes.

During this past three-day stay I enjoyed playing games Scrabble, Magic (the card game), and Balderdash. I also got to eat great food at the Olive Garden, Chipotle, and right out behind M&M's place when we grilled the best burgers that I've had in the past 5 years. Because I was good when I went shopping with Michelle during the day on Tuesday, she, the two Mikes, and I went to a 7:00 showing of the Exorcist prequel, the better of the two movies I saw recently in the theaters (the other one was Alien vs. Predator).

At work, I had a lot of fun meeting all my cool new coworkers and bosses, as well as seeing a few familiar faces that I haven't seen in a year. It's tough not being able to eat anything from 3 or 4 in the afternoon until after 10, but I got past the hunger pains by stuffing my face with free breads and bagels after I got home. Last night I was able to spend some time with my "baby", a.k.a. "the lobby" which includes a couple of entryways, restrooms, carpeted dining area, and the wood floor dining area. It looked as though my "baby" hasn't had the level of care that I used to give her for quite some time, so I look forward to being able to give her a multi-phase rejuvenating make-over, and improve the overall experience of our guests. The only real complaint I had was when my left index finger got stuck in the small bathroom stall handle and I strained the ligament--ouch! Today I wore a home-made splint fashioned from a fat-free fudge bar stick and electrical tape. Don't knock it, I only wore it half a day and my finger went from minor pain to only the slightest of discomfort. And I was able to canoe and eat with it on too!

Defining Fat
My girlfriend says she's fat, but what does she really mean? I am convinced that when confronted with facts about "being fat" she will change her mind about using the word which I see as something that might be keeping her from opening up more physically. When I looked up the word "fat" using dictionary.com, I came up with the following definition:
fat adj. having much or too much fat or flesh; plump or obese
Next time I will ask her if she has much fat or flesh, has too much fat or flesh, is plump or obese. If the questions don't fail to dissuade her from admitting that she really isn't fat, then I'll inform her that according to Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, medical evidence suggests that her weight fits within the 52-68 kg that are reasonably equally healthy for a 23 year-old girl of her height. Maybe that will convince her that I'm the only part of us that has a weight problem--I need to put on at least 5 lbs. before I'm considered to be at a medically healthy weight.

Posted by rufx0006 at 11:18 PM

Dream Journal Entry

I was walking around somewhere that felt like a train station, wallstreet, and a sports stadium when...

I was walking around somewhere that felt like a train station, wallstreet, and a sports stadium when I came across Adam Carolla with a hot dog vendor's case full of some new adult DVD. He was talking the DVD up so much that I felt it would be ridiculous not to get one. But when I dug in my pockets for some cash, all I came out with were a couple Plen-T-Packs of gum, one full, the other half full. So I was pleasantly surprised when Mr. Carolla traded me the porn for the gum. He said that putting the porn in the hands of America's youth was more important to him than the money. With my new DVD in hand, I started looking around to see how to get back home, got confused, and woke up.

Posted by rufx0006 at 10:24 AM

Was I Written With Invisible Ink?

Today’s entry is dedicated to brevity.

Worried About Shasha
The girl I love a lot said that her neck has been uncomfortable lately and she’s been having spells of dizziness and nausea...

Panera: Strike #1
So yesterday after Planet Bread I went in to the Panera location where I will be working to check the schedule to see what time I worked today...

Today’s entry is dedicated to brevity.

Worried About Shasha
The girl I love a lot said that her neck has been uncomfortable lately and she’s been having spells of dizziness and nausea. She’s going to see a bone specialist today to see if there’s anything wrong with her neck. I asked her to call me afterwards, so I can comfort her and understand what she’s experiencing. I’ve got my fingers crossed that it’s nothing serious and a little rest will be enough to get her back to normal. It’s tough not being there with her, especially now, when I sense that she could really use someone to lean on.

Panera: Strike #1
So yesterday after Planet Bread I went in to the Panera location where I will be working to check the schedule to see what time I worked today. It would make sense to say that after I completed my paperwork last week, Jake, the manager in charge of scheduling, had told me that he would give me a 4 or 5 to close shift on the Sunday following Planet Bread. Well, to my surprise my name wasn’t on the schedule for Sunday or the entire week of August 23 to 29. :s :p Strike one for Panera.

So this afternoon, I went in again to see if there was work for me or not today. I walked in and saw the back of a guy standing across from the register. I said “Hi,” to get his attention after giving him a few seconds to turn around on his own. It took him several more seconds before he turned around and that’s how I met another of the store’s managers, Brian. I asked him if Jake left a note or anything for or about me and Brian told me to call back tomorrow when Jake was working. As I turned to leave, I heard someone in the dining room call my name and I found one of my former coworkers on break. I told her a little about my year in China and she filled me in on all the managers’ names and brought me up to speed on the current Panera situation. She’s leaving for school at the end of the week, so hopefully I’ll get on the schedule and have a chance to work with her before she goes. Other than her, only two of my former coworkers are still around, luckily they’re ones that I like a lot. I’m looking forward to meeting the rest of the crew as soon as possible.

So I’ll be calling Jake tomorrow morning at 9:30 to try and get some hours in this week. I’d like to get familiar with the new products and people I will be working with before I start school to avoid feeling overwhelmed. Cross my toes...

Posted by rufx0006 at 11:23 PM

Frustrated, Cowboy? Yourself Up!

Today's entry is dedicated to MS Word, which I will use from now on for first writing my blog entry in order to keep an hour's worth of writing from being lost for less than a second at a rate of 44000 bps, like it just was!!!! :-(

Back on Planet Earth
I arrived home today, back from a short stint on Planet Bread, where I didn’t eat half as many natives as I had the appetite for…

Aye, I Know That Lassie
I had the pleasure of chatting with my Chinese friend, Di “Ms. Wantwant” Yaoyao, on Messenger the other day…

Tomorrow Plans
Keeping in line with my unofficial mission statement to improve my mastery of Chinese language, ...

Curious Adam In A Curious Magazine, Well Not THAT CURIOUS Of A Magazine
I nearly forgot that while I was in Beijing, I had the pleasure of ...

Back on Planet Earth
I arrived home today, back from a short stint on Planet Bread, where I didn’t eat half as many natives as I had the appetite for. In all, I spent a total of about seven and one half hours on Planet Bread, the last three of which were spent reading the books I had brought while waiting for my shuttlecraft to arrive. The previous four and one half hours were spent engaged in the activities organized by the current leaders of Planet Bread. Said activities consisted of introductions, watching dough being prepared in massive quantities in a Fresh Bread Facility at an undisclosed location, smelling and eating several ethnicities of the planet’s native (and delectable) inhabitants, watching a video of panera customers reciting poems, rapping raps, and singing songs (if you guessed that said poems, raps, and songs were Panera-related, you are without a doubt, one smart low-carb cookie). I also crafted a nametag, which a few of the neighboring females praised for having “neat handwriting” and one of the planet leaders, Ms. Brit, asked me to make her a nametag in a similar style, which I was more than happy to do, and did.

As far as my experience of the planet’s conditions, I found the temperature to be a bit colder than Earth’s current Minnesota low 70s, cold enough to keep my arms crossed in a not-wanting-to-display-poor-welcoming-body-language-but-my-hands-are-freezing-display. There were also no plants. Which makes me wonder what that toilet paper was made out of…

In conclusion, Planet Bread is a nice place to visit if you’re wearing a sweater, but I wouldn’t want to live there no matter how many sweaters I was wearing. I didn’t learn what I was hoping to learn, and that disappointed me until I remembered that I was getting paid for my time there and then I was quite satisfied indeed. (Man, it sure seemed that I had some better material the first time I tried to write this blog… sorry…)

Aye, I Know That Lassie
I had the pleasure of chatting with my Chinese friend, Di “Ms. Wantwant” Yaoyao, on Messenger the other day. She’s currently in Scotland, studying Finance Management at the University of Aberdeen. Along with updating me that she’s learned to cook a mean “fried paste” (she meant pasta), she reminded me that my girlfriend and I (we’re both Yaoyao’s friends) are welcome to come visit her when we have time. I am excited about the possibilty of returning to the U.K. (I traveled in Ireland in 1998) during my winter break. I hope that Shasha is able to take some vacation time and get a visa so we can go to the place where they say ARSE! and try some of Ms. Wantwant’s fried paste---Yummy! :-d

Tomorrow Plans
Keeping in line with my unofficial mission statement to improve my mastery of Chinese language, I am going to dust-off and continue work on my Chinese language learning website, which can be found on my current personal website. Teaching or explaining to someone else is the best way to prove to myself that I know the information, gives me confidence in communicating in Chinese, and motivates me to learn more.

I nearly forgot that while I was in Beijing, I had the pleasure of being interviewed by a cute journalist working for the China Today magazine. I was reminded today, when I discovered that the article can now be found online, so check it out if you’re interested or not uninterested enough to resist clicking here and taking your chance at winning ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD!*

*Less taxes.

Posted by rufx0006 at 10:43 PM

Time to Earn the Big Bucks

Today's entry is dedicated to ambiguous Fridays: is it the end of the week or the beginning of the weekend? OR IS IT BOTH?!

Mr. Adam is Leaving the Planet
Tomorrow morning at 9 a.m. I will be on another planet...

So Long, Summer of Sloth
I updated my Fall Semester time planning sheet today...

Questions to Look-Up
1. According to U.S. law, when does human "life" begin?
2. What are the top-rated law schools in the Midwest? East Coast? Southwest?
3. What kinds of careers are open to those with law degrees?
4. What is something sweet that I can do for Shasha to show her that I appreciate her very much?

Tune in tomorrow, same blog time, same blog channel, and I will tell you about both the crust and crumb of Planet Bread.

88

Mr. Adam is Leaving the Planet
Tomorrow morning at 9 a.m. I will be on another planet. Planet Bread, that is. That's the name that Panera Bread calls their 6-hour training program which takes place every Saturday at 9 a.m. at the Maplewood bakery/cafe. I'll go there tomorrow to learn about all of the changes that have occurred since I last worked about one year ago. The training is paid, and since I've worked with the company for three years, a lot of the material presented will be review to me so it will be one of the easiest work days of my career. :D And I get to make my nametag! You go, Mr. Adam! I think I will!

So Long, Summer of Sloth
I updated my Fall Semester time planning sheet today and I think it's safe to say that for the 14 weeks after Sep. 7th, you could check on me at just about any time night or day and I'd be doing something constructive. Interesting Facts: I will be in class for ~18.5 hours per week, reading for ~16 hours/week, working for 10-13 hours/week, and studying Chinese for ~5 hours/week.

*Yes, Michelle, I have time for social activities with you and your Mikes & Turtle team.

Posted by rufx0006 at 9:32 PM

I'll Wash If You Rinse

Today's entry is dedicated to one of my favorite good, clean activities, washing dishes with Shasha..

Backstory
This year the dorms are not offering voice mail as they did my previous two years, so in order to keep a handle on the massive amounts of incoming calls from all my fans & friends I did some research online and ordered a telephone digital answering system.

Package Arrived
To make a boring story interesting by sharing only the juiciest part, my telephone was delivered by a friendly, yet disturbed FedEx delivery woman (seriously, it was like she was afraid of me, or Cirrus, whom I was holding as I signed for the box). So I'm now the proud owner of a Uniden DCT 5285. What does that mean? ...

Who Are You Going To Vote For?
Bush or Kerry? Leave a Comment with your choice as if you had to choose at the moment of your comment-leaving and also as if your vote is the only one that counts.

What's Next?
Checking the dryer to see if the blankets I washed are dry. It was chilly last night and I hate being cold when I'm trying to sleep, so I'm piling on the blankets tonight (well, I will if they are dry).

Jaa mata ashita, [adult swim]!

Package Arrived
To make a boring story interesting by sharing only the juiciest part, my telephone was delivered by a friendly, yet disturbed FedEx delivery woman (seriously, it was like she was afraid of me, or Cirrus, whom I was holding as I signed for the box). So I'm now the proud owner of a Uniden DCT 5285. What does that mean?

It means I have a phone. And digital answering system. I haven't used it yet to make a call, but already I'm impressed with the following aspects and/or aspect-like features: handset runs on 2 rechargeable AA Ni-MH batteries (which take 17-20 hours to charge in the base unit, unless you are me, which I am, and use his Powerex quick charger to do the job in an hour); handset has 100 memory locations for phone numbers (in addition to speed dial); a bunch of ringtones; the ability to associate different ringtones with different phone numbers (so just by listening to the ringtone and rembembering who the hell I have associated with it, I can tell who's calling); nice big LCD screen; ability to use the handset in speaker phone mode; and I'm sure there are a few other things I will like about once I start using it.

Speaking of phones, and using them, I really wanna get up in the morning and give her a call. I've been hesitant to call her the past couple of days because I woke up a little late and I didn't want to disturb her if she was sleeping. I hope she knows I am thinking about her.

Posted by rufx0006 at 11:18 PM

Slowly Going the Way of the Bald

Today's entry is dedicated to hair, man I wish I had some more on top.

The Reason I'm Sleepy, Yet Satisfied

Chinese Vocabulary Quiz

The Reason I'm Sleepy, Yet Satisfied
My favorite radio program Loveline is on from 11 at night to 1 in the a.m. and it's one of my favorite parts of the day. Adam Carolla and Dr. Drew team up with "interesting" callers and cool guests to answer life questions (often involving sexual and relationship health), complain about no-peanut airplanes, and play a fun game of Germany or Florida? For those of you who have access to the internet and are free Central Standard Time 23:00 to 1:00, you can listen to Loveline Monday through Friday online by tuning in to the Cities 97 web broadcast.

Chinese Vocabulary Quiz
1. competition jian4zheng1
2. astronaut hang2tian1yuan
3. statistics ????
4. pepper la4jiao4
5. extinction ????
:P Looks like I need to start getting some regular language exercise. I haven't seriously done any Chinese studying since early July and it looks like I'm out of shape.

My mom and Cirrus are going to bed, so it's time for me to get off the computer and let them rest. (I'm using my mom's dial-up connection to avoid paying for going over the free 40 hours offered by the U of M.)

Oh yeah, I got a few hairs cut tonight and then went to the bathroom mirror to play with it and I ended up creating a 'do that I call The Sting. It's all flat and pointy and reminds my mom of Eddie Munster. I bet Shasha would hate it, but not to worry because it's a wet-look style and I am way to lazy to create it regularly.

See you tomorrow, sexy thin-haired insomniac!
(x_x'

Posted by rufx0006 at 9:46 PM

I'm Stuck On Level 8

Today's entry is dedicated to Zuma, the most addictive frog-related game since Frogger.

Special Message: Get Well Soon, Kunzi! :-)

Weigh-In
I'm happy to announce that my body is 0.5 lbs. heavier than it was when I arrived back in MN. I still have 8.5 lbs. to go to catch up to my pre-China weight, and 28.5 lbs. to meet my goal weight. Eat! Eat! Eat! Exercise! Rest! Rest! Eat!

On My Mind

Food Craving of the Day
Cottage Cheese

What I Will Do Immediately After Posting
Prepare Dinner, I'm starving! (~_~'

On My Mind
1. Shasha has caught a cold, I want her to recover ASAP so she can feel as good as she looks. I'm going to try to get her into bed earlier than her usual bedtime of late o'clock!

2. I took a sample LSAT (general reasoning section) yesterday. The LSAT is to law school what the SAT is to an undergraduate program. The general reasoning section that I took was 25 questions and I had 30 minutes to complete it. It's a fun logical reasoning challenge, I'll include a link to the site in case you're interested. http://www.lsat-center.com So why did I take a sample LSAT?? Well, my girlfriend was telling me that she and a co-worker are considering taking it. I ran a quick search on LSAT and found that sample, so she can have a better idea of what the LSAT is. Her English is pretty good, but she still found it difficult to understand and didn't complete the exam. I think she's now having second thoughts about trying to get into law school. Which is funny, because she has been talking about it a lot lately, even telling me to go to law school with her. At first I was opposed to the idea of studying law, but after taking that sample test, I'm curious enough to investigate career options for law school graduates.

3. My computer has a tiny little 30 GB hard drive, and I'm looking to upgrade. I am currently considering the following options: an External Hard Drive (at least 200 GB), or an Internal or External DVD Writer. If I get a hard drive, I have already decided that I'll get a Maxtor brand One-Touch drive. If I get a DVD writer, I'm looking at a few Plextor models: the PX-712A, PX-708UF, and the PX-712UF. With my budget of $150, it looks like I might have to wait a while before I make a purchase, or I will need to think about a smaller hard drive or slower DVD writer.

4. So I am trying to come up with a fun art project that I can work on and complete during the fall semester. Political cartoons, a Self-portrait Diary, Origami, or a Comic strip are at the top of my list. I still need a coach, so I'll ask around to see who's available and willing to check my progress over the next few months.

Posted by rufx0006 at 7:11 PM

"I Love Meat!"

Today's entry is dedicated to the children of vegetarian or vegan parents who love eating over at their friends houses.

Weekend Recap

School Notes

Rant: Pro-Contraception with a side of Anti-Pro-Life

Weekend Recap
Friday & Saturday: I went back to campus to visit M&M&M (a pair of Mikes and a half-pair of Michelles) to celebrate my belated birthday (I turned 24 on August 5th). There was a great variety of activities, including Blurt, Cranium, Late-Night Pizza, Book-Reading, Roundtable Discussion, Air Mattress Inflating, Olive Garden Brunch, Alien vs. Predator (with mixed reviews), 8-Legged Freaks, Annie's Famous Burgers, and oh yeah, Gifts!! that I can wear, laugh at, learn from, and sell on E-bay after a while. ;-) It was a blast and I look forward to regular activities with up to three Ms during the coming semester.

School Notes
My fall course line-up:
Egyptian Art, Intro. to Philosophy, Intro. to Sensation/Perception*, Intro. to Personality*, Intro. to Learning*, Intro. to Industrial/Organizational (I/O) Psychology. 20 credits $3,338.72 + books
Beginning to read my textbooks has only made me more excited for school to start again. I'm excited to learn a lot, keep up my Dean's List streak (three semesters in a row), and make some great new friends.
* indicates a course in my major, Psychology.

Sunday: Got together with my mom's family to celebrate July & August birthdays. Things have changed a little bit. When I left for China most of my cousins were in preschool or elementary school, and now they're debating whether or not it would be better to be a stripper or a pole dancer. Memorable moments include my little cousin Alex knowing everyone's name except mine, the same Alex mistaking Shasha for his 2-year old sister Amanda, my aunt explaining to my 13-year-old cousin who's currently got an inch and 10 pounds on me that I won't be growing any more, my cousin Tony's story about his carnivorous friend, and my mom sneaking off without the three pieces of ice cream cake that the hosting aunt tried to put off on her.

Rant
First of all, know where I'm coming from. I've had experience in Catholic, Christian, Lutheran, and Unitarian churches. Despite repeated attempts at religious brainwashing, I have embraced atheism and science as two of my guides for interpreting and understanding the universe. I have some knowledge about contraception, having served as a Sexual Health and Disease Education (S.H.A.D.E.) volunteer at the U of Minnesota, and as a long-time Loveline listener. I fully support the correct use of contraception and emergency-contraception (i.e. the morning-after pill). ). I also believe abortion is a choice that should be available to every pregnant individual.

What drives me crazy about those Pro-Lifers on the television program is that their message completely lacked support for sexual education and contraception. They’re too busy preaching about how many unborn fetuses have been “murdered”, how those unborn fetuses are god’s property, and therefore abortions should be criminalized. Come on, morons!! What's your deal in the first place?? How does someone having an abortion hurt you?? To me, a campaign against abortion is as silly and ridiculous as a campaign against the removal of wisdom teeth and appendixes. I get so frustrated when I think of all the Pro-Lifers who are going to vote Bush and right down the Republican party line, for no other reason than to make sure their crazy beliefs have government representation to keep the morning-after pill prescription only (an issue that deserves a rant of its own). For the mean time I will try to avoid wasting my breath on Anti-Pro-Life rants and spend it instead on more constructive activities.

Posted by rufx0006 at 11:51 PM

Good time of day! Welcome to my name here's blog!

Hey!

Thank you for viewing my blog. Updated daily, you can find answers and responses to your e-mail questions & comments mixed up with academic status reports, funny stories, rants, and interesting knowledge in my posts. A regular catharsis and time-saver for me, an easy alternative to waiting for an e-mail reply for you.

Daily posts begin Monday, August 16th.

Questions, Comments, & Suggestions Encouraged and Entertained*.

Have a good time of day,
My name here

*Entertainment costs not to exceed USD $0.03.

Posted by rufx0006 at 12:52 AM