Lessons in Psychology

Blog 6

Throughout this semester, we were taught that psychology is a science--meaning its concepts and theories have required extensive research and experiments. The theories that have been formed have been proved by psychologists, and throughout history it seems as though psychologists are continually attempting to prove each other wrong or to expand on someone else's theory to "improve" it.
The skepticism of psychologists throughout history have taught me to always be skeptical of claims. Unless they have been researched, claims cannot be proved. In five years, I will remember to be skeptical of everything I hear and read. Psychology has made me more conscious of my own thought processes and the thoughts of others. For example, I now am more aware of when I am using the confirmation bias to confirm information that I am seeking out. In addition, I am more conscious of when my friends or when researchers may be seeking out specific information that they agree with. Another memorable lesson in psychology is to not let specific beliefs interfere with the truth. Being wrong is okay, but when someone knows they are wrong and refuses to admit it, they are committing a "sin" in psychology. Overall, psychology has taught me to be critical of the world around me, and I will continue to be more skeptical in general in the future.

Lessons in Psychology

Blog 6

Recent Comments

• kirsteycollins@yahoo.com: I have not been studying psychology to such an extent, read more