ERIC and E*Subscribe changes Fall 2004

College of Education Faculty--
For those of you use ERIC and E*Subscribe...

There are a number of upcoming changes in the ERIC database system as directed by the US Department of Education. These are detailed in the EDRS News section of the E*Subscribe web site ( www.edrs.com ) and this pdf: http://www.edrs.com/products/director_letter.pdf

Here are the key points--
A redesigned ERIC will be in place Sept 1 2004, with new features. The Library will continue to offer ERIC via ERIC FirstSearch and so the appearance will remain the same.
E*Subscribe, the source for downloading ERIC documents, will shut down/discontinue operations Sept 30, 2004. It will be gone. We have the ERIC documents on microfiche in the Government Publications Library here at Wilson Library. Some of the past ERIC documents may be available online in the new ERIC and others will not be. (No one likes using microfiche!)
No new ERIC fiche will be produced. We've received our last shipment!
In place of the ED/ERIC document on microfiche of the past, for the future "ERIC will introduce, for the first time, free-of-charge full text non-journal ERIC resources". The mechanism for this has not been specified.
This move to the new redesigned ERIC has been a long, difficult, and political process. Librarians and others have been active advocates on various issues related to this during the past few years with mixed results.

As a separate matter, as soon as the link is set up, this year we will offer access to ERIC with both ERIC FirstSearch and ERIC CSA for your use on the library web pages. (Same database...different vendor interface...different search features...see what works best for you). A year from now to save money, we may need to switch to ERIC CSA only given cost differences.

Laurel Haycock, Ph.D., Librarian for Education, Psychology,
and Speech-Language-Hearing Sciences

Posted by s-gang at 2:41 PM

Idea Exchange

Benefit from your colleagues' expertise and insights!

The Idea Exchange is a collection of teaching ideas that will help your students develop better research and writing skills. The Exchange is designed to save you time and lighten your workload. It's adaptable across disciplines and levels of undergraduate instruction and all the materials in it are available for you to duplicate or adapt.

Posted by s-gang at 3:59 PM

More Tools for Your Students

If your students could benefit from a occasional gentle reminder about assignment deadlines, suggest Assignment Calculator to help them plan their progress through library assignments and discover the best resources to help them complete their work.

There is also a handy Virtual Tour of Wilson Library in case they haven't ventured over to West Bank very often. I will get that updated to include the Information Commons, coming in October to the first floor of Wilson.

Posted by s-gang at 3:44 PM

Information Commons

Wilson Library is getting ready to offer a new service designed primarily for undergraduate students. It will be called the Information Commons and will be located on the first floor of Wilson.

More information coming soon!

Posted by s-gang at 3:06 PM

Fall Semester!

It's that hectic time of year when you're getting ready for your courses. If you plan to include a library component, feel free to contact me. I can put together a tailor-made CourseLib page for your class. View the courses that already have a page at CourseLib for courses beginning with the letter K.

For basic information introduce your students to Research QuickStart and set the subject menu on one of the following:
Education
Physical Education, Recreation and Kinesiology
Sports Medicine
or any subject that applies to your course.

If you would like me to meet with your class, contact me at least a week in advance so I can see if my schedule is open during class time. Send me a copy of your syllabus and information about any library-related assignments you have in mind. We can discuss whether you'd like the class to come to the library or if you'd prefer to have me visit in your regular classroom.

Posted by s-gang at 2:50 PM