How do you read? | Main | Summer on East Bank

Friday night book discoveries

First, a trip to the local discount book place unearthed these delights:

--Little Lit: Folklore and Fairy Tale Funnies by Art Spiegelman and Francoise Mouly
--Strange Stories for Strange Kids (Little Lit, Book 2) by Art Spiegelman

There are more Little Lit titles, including It Was a Dark and Silly Night, which I'm sorry was not on the shelf with the other two!

and I also found this:

img_2400.jpg

Upon returning home, looking for something besides repeated clips of late pop stars, I came upon PBS/TPT's Bill Moyers Journal and his interview with Pulitzer Prize-winning poet W.S. Merwin ("The Shadow of Sirius"). Topics include language, his writing process, the natural world and his career. He made a comment about one poem that quoted his mother as saying "even when you do not know, you will know." "She never really said that, you know," he tells Moyers*.
I found one excerpt here.

*That echoed what Andre Aciman said about his memoir Out of Egypt. Aciman and other authors presented a panel discussion on memoirs at the U of M back in 2007. Watch him read from his book on MediaMill. At the panel he describes writing more than one version of the walk he took with his brother on their last evening in Egypt, and commented that in fact his mother wouldn't have let him/them out of the house. (Soxanne, did I get that right?)

Posted by s-gang at June 26, 2009 9:44 PM | Books | Poetry

I'm thinking I should get Strange Stories for Strange Kids from that series for my kids ...

Posted by: soxanne at June 29, 2009 12:09 PM