April 2005 | Main | July 2005

Sideways

On the list of fun things to do:
Go see Sideways, which is mentioned in passing in Vinography, a wine blog. Everyone's raving about Sideways, but I'm behind the times here.

Posted by s-gang at 1:38 PM

Book Club catch-up

Our book club recently discussed Neither Wolf Nor Dog by Kent Nerburn His book is very special and is just about at the top of my list, along with Rohinton Mistry's A Fine Balance.

Neither Wolf Nor Dog is also one of the few books that everyone in the group thoroughly enjoyed! Then again something we all love about our book club, in addition to its broad cultural scope, is the exposure to books we never would have read otherwise.

Other books and movies were mentioned in the course of our discussion:
What the Bleep Do We Know?
Pow Wow Highway
and others (but I left my notes at home!).

Next month we will discuss Getting Mother's Body by Suzan-Lori Parks

I finished that one and enjoyed it. Now I'm reading Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons by Lorna Landvik. Not on the book club list, this one's just for fun.

Eventually I will get to Philip Roth's A Human Stain, but after two (or is it five?) weeks of steady rain, it just sounds too depressing to tackle right now!

Posted by s-gang at 11:58 AM

Absence, continued

Today there was official recognition of the GC demonstrations. Read the Top Stories story in today's Brief. The trick is, if you go to the link provided by the Brief, you won't find the actual story, that is, what occurred at Morrill Hall, but you will get a well constructed article published on May 6, written by Robert Jones of General College.
Interestingly, if you run a Google search for General College protesters, here's what comes up today, and it was the only result this morning:

Passing on the mace: UMNnews: U of M. ... Civil rights protesters tried to block entrances to Northrop the night before the inauguration during a ... Robert Jones talks about General College ...

On the surface it looks promising, doesn't it? It's talking about protesters and mentions General College and even Robert Jones. But the story is about civil rights protesters in 1963. Which is cool, but... let's hope it won't take forty years for the UMNews to cover what's happening this month.

Posted by s-gang at 9:17 AM

Campus News: Presence of Absence

It's weird to work at the University, particularly on West Bank, and have to watch the local TV news to find out what is happening on campus. I went home yesterday after what seemed here a pleasant uneventful day, and on the other side of the river, students were sitting in at Morrill Hall (or Merrill Hall as one news announcer called it), and a few were getting maced.

The Save GC rally and many other events occur on campus and we're often oblivious to it all. Perhaps this is due to our geographic semi-isolation, similar to the experience of folks on the St. Paul side of campus.

I ran a search on the U of M Search for "save GC" and many of the entries were in other people's blogs. Does the U of M News update us on such events? Well, you'll get the official announcement about Strategic Positioning. For sure there were no official e-mails about such, but the Daily did pick it up today.
U police arrest 9 at sit-in

And of course the GC home page links to several relevant pages.

I'm just saying, it's strange to have to go home and watch the news to find out what happened on campus!

Posted by s-gang at 10:10 AM

Mia

Last weekend I was scouting out the neighborhood of my youth, considering moving back there. I stopped at the public library branch and the nearby recreation center. Working in a library I have access to thousands of books but a public library has leisure reading that is not always available on campus. As I wandered the stacks I spotted Mia Farrow's autobiography, What Falls Away. I checked it out, drawn by curiosity. What a delight to discover what an eloquent writer she is. And what a story. I read it quickly and am still fascinated by her life and her ability to cope with what she's experienced. A belated thank you to Mia!

Posted by s-gang at 9:25 AM