Recently in Images Category

Winter at Gustavus

100_0048.JPG

Noticing things

After hearing a telephone devotion from our church about meditation and paying attention, I drove to work the next morning and saw a woman walking east on Lake Street with a cockatiel on her shoulder. I noticed the businesses and enjoyed the diversity of the street. Liberally sprinkled between chains like McD's and White Castle are small and very unique businesses. It's very commercial but it serves as an expression of the community surrounding it.

My favorite student art work in the recent Coexistence exhibit at the new art building, Regis Center for Art on campus was the work by Aaron J. Beaulieu and Edgar Yanez-Herrera. It shows the city of Minneapolis but really features Lake Street. Dianne and I spent the longest time looking at this one piece and we were pretty sure when we left that we'd still missed many details.

This morning I noticed a police car parked crossing one lane on the bridge over I-94 near my house. I took a walk and saw that the westbound lane of 94 was empty - a delightful idea - but I did not find out what the occasion was. No accidents. Perhaps a travelling dignitary? a political candidate? a terrorist? an escaped criminal?

I wasn't as interested in that - since there is always something going on near the freeway - fire engines, accidents, road construction, noisy motorcycles, cars with bad mufflers - but it reminded me to get outside and take a walk. My sister was excited to hear about my new hollyhocks - yellow doubles - I had taken a walk last night and discovered more hollyhocks in the alley - yellow and red singles.

So this morning I took another jaunt and found and garden up on St. Anthony to be in full bloom. It's planted by a historical marker about the oxcart trail. I'll get some shots in here one of these days. It does make me long for a digital camera. It's like having your mouth taped shut not to be able to send images right away! Spoiled by technology.

River Birch

riverbirch-11A.jpg

Here's the river birch in my back yard. The birds like it and it is beginning to provide some shade.

Venus Transit at Sunrise

Today's photo on Astronomy Picture of the Day is Venus Transit at Sunrise:
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Images category.

Cool Web sites is the previous category.

Libraries is the next category.