Response to Presentations- 4/28

Since for the last week I was sitting in on a different class for presentations, it was interesting to come in as an outsider and see how this class interacts and presents there information. Being a part of such a small recitation section you begin to get to know your classmates and how they work.

The first group that presented researched Goal #1: Poverty/Hunger. I think that this is a very interesting topic and I always finding it intriguing how people decide to research it. There are many different ways that the topic could be viewed, from statistics and facts, to the initial problems and images. The group touched base on a wide variety of issues. Recognizing the common bonds between underlying issues of homelessness to the organizations that help find solutions for the problem. The most interesting connections that were made drew in the architecture network. Architecture firms are finding sustainable and affordable solutions for some of the low income housing solutions. I really enjoyed this groups presentation. The only thing I would have liked to see was less reading of note cards and more presentation of the information. I feel if a couple of months has been taken to research a project the information should be be embedded into the mind.

The second group that presented had a very interesting presentation powerpoint. It was very creative and organized to present the information. I missed exactly what goal they were presenting because they didn't introduce it, but I know it covered the basis of Economy. Presenting information on Dubai and it's countries development. It is rather disturbing to see how excessive this country is. With all of the issues that are going on in the world it's hard to think of the money and energy that is being put into the excessiveness of the growth of this country.

I think these groups did a great job! It was very nice to see the diversity and angles in which groups took their research as well as presented it.

Response to Global Development Presentation -goal #8 4/21

The group that presented on Mon. April 21 on Global Development covered four main topics of the goal. To briefly recap Community Housing Developments, Pharmaceutical cost issues, sustainability, and recycling were among the main topics presented. I must be completely honest; I was a little confused about the focus of their presentation. I understand that it was preliminary outline of the topics researched and the final document is not due until May 5th; however the goal and direction of the research was a little scattered. Even though informational facts were presented I think the overall achievement of Global Development lacked an implementation as well as a focused organization. I feel as if the facts that we stated we a common issue that has been addressed previously in many different topics of global issues. Since this class is ‘Design’ based, I would have liked to see how Global Development was being taken into consideration with such things that are going on in our world today (ex. War, economic constraints, culture, climate and global warming.) A far better understanding of the goal may be achieved if their topics would have cohesively had a common connection. I guess my problem is the reflection on an issue that is so great that it is being addressed by the many countries collectively should have a deeper root then “we should recycle because it can save trees?. This issue has been addressed and could be taken a step further to analyze why people really do not take the time to separate their recycling even though information of the effectiveness and preservation of our natural resources has been clearly stated ever since we entered elementary school. I may be a little too critical but I have a passion of understanding the deeper connection with issues and why they happen. I do not really get a lot out of facts that are presented to me. Since they have no further implementation or adjacent meaning I can further analyze from the presentation, in a way I find them slightly irrelevant at that time.
Whether it is conceptual, physical, or in the sense of a phenomenon these goals all have an underlying connection that is people. These goals are being addressed mainly because of things we as human beings are, or are not doing.

The image below just relays the fact that different elements of all kinds can collectively come together if the resources and underlying issues are understood by everyone trying to support or fix the situation

ist2_5315648_collective_works.jpg

ist2_5315648_collective_works.jpg

Millennium Goals- Redefining Sustainability through connection

Slide1.jpg

Slide2.jpg

Slide3.jpg

Blog Prompt 6- Inspirations of Design for a cause

images-1.jpeg

Our Research project has been inspired by the organization called the Northwest Earth Institute. This organization focuses on providing education and classes for:
-Global Warming
-Choices for Sustainable Living
-Menu for the Future
-Healthy Children, Healthy Planet
-Discovering a sense of place
-Exploring Deep Ecology

These different sub-organizations support the sole intention of educating the world on the causes and effects of our actions and the importance of sustainability. The design structure that best represents these ideas a central core (sustainability) and extending elements from that core. However; each extending element has other aspects that support its’ cause. These aspects can be presented in multiple ways:
1. Strong supports
2. Thin connections that have little to no support to the overall purpose and may become disconnect at any time
3. Connections that are interdependent of other connections

All of these expressive elements of the organization (NWEI) and its’ supporting causes are present in a very natural form. The ‘Spider Web’, like the organization the spider web contains many elements and connections that are integrated and support each other to accomplish one overall goal. Similar to the organization each supporting element helps to accomplish one overall goal, the practice and assurance of sustainability. The spider web in it's simplest for exerts great beauty and still delicately connects with it's surrounds for support with out disturbing it. Can we represent the built environment with as much grace and durability as a spider web?

images.jpeg

-Global Warming
-Choices for Sustainable Living
-Menu for the Future
-Healthy Children, Healthy Planet
-Discovering a sense of place
-Exploring Deep Ecology

1. Strong supports

images.jpeg

Hmmmm...... who am I ?

My understanding of the built environment is every element, thing, particle, event, etc. that makes up who we are and where we reside. The Universe is the ultimate PHENOMENA. It is unexplainable, remarkable, and for me supports my understanding of the built environment because like the universe my environment is made up of many different things. Those things may not necessarily be able to be explained, but they are present in time, they have limits, and they explain who I am.

images.jpeg

I would like to start off my Blog by recalling the article by Kenneth E. Boulding. My knowledge of my built environment has supported who I am; therefore my image of the environment has supported and speculated my terms of the frameworks, clockworks, phenomena and oppositions of the space around me. Because of the knowledge that I have obtained in the Architecture program my explanation of how the built environment supports who I am may greatly differs from some one who knows or appreciates very little of their built environment. Phenomena has supported my environment because it has given reason to why I wake up in the bed I do, in Minneapolis, in the country I live. My knowledge of where my ancestors are from, why I was born here and not on the other side of the world, and the experiences of how I got to where I am today is all attributing to the framework of the knowledge and understanding of the built enviornment and therefore appreciation and understanding of my built environment. The Phenomena of my build environment also resembles the boundaries that I feel with in it. My knowledge of my environment has enabled me to configure an image of my environment; therefore being able to differentiate my feelings of comfort and emotion with the characteristics evident with in the time I spend with in my space. This also brings in the idea of phenomena as an individual and phenomena as a collaborative. This strongly reflects my idea of the built environment through the idea that collaborative “events? enable my reaction to my environment, thus supporting my knowledge and image in comparison to the exploration of other built environments.

Volunteer Blog #2

Since I have doing a book drive I do not really have a week to week update since much of the experience is the same. This weekend I was able to finally get in contact with fundraising managers with Half-Price Books. They are going to be kind enough to donate some books for the Children's Library. My current progress now is to keep track of who is donating and what they have donated so I can provide my volunteering supervisor with an inventory list.

Everything is moving along nicely. It was a lot harder finding people to donate then I thought it would because sometimes there is a lot of paper work and information that needs to be complied so that the books can be kept track of. In a way it surprises me how much charity has now turned into a type of business.

UNDERSTANDING MY WORLD

DESIGN TO ME IS......
LEARNING TO UNDERSTAND THE WORLD AS INDIVIDUAL POINTS OF REFERENCE AND ELEMENTS AND CONNECT TO EACH OTHER IN MANY DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS AND PATHWAYS.

Mousegenenetwork.jpg

frustration.jpg

This Blog promt question could be a little dangerous. I feel I may express my true feelings about my recent schooling years more then I probably should. So…… I will stop there and begin with WHY HAVEN’T I BEEN ABLE TO TAKE A CLASS LIKE 1701 UNTIL NOW?
Before I get into where I would be if I were released from the constraints of the architecture program I want to say that my place of ultimate design creativity and bliss has definitely changed since beginning of this semester. Let me explain, I have always been a very creative, out of the box kind of person, but ever since I start school I have felt limited and very focused on sequence. Everything has to be done in this order or it’s WRONG. Says who? I understand when it comes to the actual construction of a building that yes, certain things must be completed first or you will have an obvious mess. But who is to tell my design thought and process it wrong because I didn’t do it in the order YOU told me to. This class has made me realize ARCHITECUTRE IS DEFIATELY NOT ABOUT STRUCTURE (to a sense) and to be honest I think I would be in a completely different place if I would have been able to explore that I idea before, like I am able to now.

Ok enough of that. My ideal place to be WHEN (no if), I am released from the architecture program would be all over the world. I know it doesn’t sound that creative, but it’s where I know I would at my most creative, knowledgeable, etc. Being able to travel would give me the ability to discover, to touch, to capture, and experience all the elements of life and design in a variety of built environments. This place of mine would have no books, no schedules, no limits. Begin able to interpret and understand design though the way people live it versus reading about it from the experiences of other people, making note cards, then having to choose a.b.c.or d. Honestly, I may be able o memorize the events, but how is that going to help me if I can’t draw from my own personal interpretation.
With my ideal place being traveling the world I would practice architecture in the form of creative and artistic research. Hopefully then beginning to have people see their built environment more then the new Super Target that is being built around the corner. The realization of environment, source, and substance will be a part of every ones understanding.

It's time to wake up.... WE ARE THE PROBLEM

Comic1.jpg

This is my home. This is where I grew up, where I feel a sense of identity, comfort, security, and where I feel most like myself. By the way I think Google Maps is really cool. It’s like that rush you get when you find your house from the window of an airplane.

View Larger Map

……….. Sometimes (like every other person on earth) we forget that we are not the only ‘things’ on the face of this earth.

We are one minuscule part of such a large picture that it hurts my brain to comprehend. And when it comes down to it the environment, atmosphere, weather, climates WILL ALWAYS WIN! So why has it taken us so long to be APART of the environment we live in versus driving the environment we live in.
I chose to do sustainability as my project goal because I think that the subject matter goes far beyond building materials and conserving energy. Even though those elements are extremely important it is only the beginning to a change that many people may be overlooking. We need to start from the beginning and with this project I hope to research and acquire knowledge of how that is being done.
We should really start listening to our surroundings……..

My home is located on the 94 bypass

For many years exiting off of 94 onto Hennepin Avenue has always been the prime spot of homeless individuals to stand with their signs asking for money. It’s always been the cliché’ to look straight ahead and lock your car doors. As the stoplight turns green, you continue on your way, luckily enough you will be driving home, to work, or at least a shelter or some kind.
homeless_mans_sign_by_eye2eye_at_fl.jpg
According to dictionary.com the definition of home states: a house, apartment, or other shelter that is the usual residence of a person, family, or story.
When I think of the word home I think of the following words: identity, safe, security, place attachment etc. I believe that my home makes up certain parts of who I am. So when I pass those individuals whom stand on the corner of 94 I can’t help but think how one creates an identity without having a secure place to identify with.
HOME=IDENTITY
As a social issue homelessness not only affects the individual, but the community. It becomes an unforgiving cycle when people start to associate homelessness as a burden to the community. How as designers can we alleviate that burden? I do not have the answers; however advocating for people in the community to take notice versus locking their car doors is a start. According to Jennie Winhall , “Design is a powerful tool. It elevates the likelihood of certain kinds of choices and shapes certain kinds of behaviors. “ The answer is that we have the power. Now the question is how to we exert that power without trying to totally reshape society and fix hard economic times?
This YouTube link brings to light what issues of homelessness are affecting Minneapolis.

Loring Nichollet Bethlemhem Community Center- Volunteer Blog 1

Last Wednesday I met with Maurie Clipperton of the Loring Nichollet Bethlehem Community Center. I will be conducting a book drive for their after school program as a part of my volunteer requirement. This first meeting was to collaborate ideas of the best ways to collect books and what kind of books were the most popular among the kids. It was great to see how excited everyone was that I was going to be organizing this for them

My plan for this book drive is to get the word out about the center. I will set up boxes at various locations around the city for people to donate. I will also be in contact with major bookstores like Borders, Barnes and Noble etc. for possible book donations for the children. I will be updating my blog with the challenges and accomplishments I will come across during this experience.

Energy Flow and Transformation through the City- Week 2 Blog

My boyfriend and I recently moved into our condo in the heart of downtown Minneapolis at the beginning of the summer. Both of us were very familiar with the city; however living amongst the noise, lights, and concrete landscape of Minneapolis was very different from visiting the city on a special occasion. I must admit that the immense detail and size of a metropolis has always drawn me to study design and I have only recently begun to see beyond the materials and construction. Design goes far beyond what is expressed as it's initial purpose. What is design? Design is people. People create that energy and people are the ones who transform the landscapes ( whether positively or negatively).

Once being assigned this blog prompt I began to watch and observe casually the interaction people have with their environments with in everyday settings. Looking beyond the actual purpose of the building or location, but more on the energy of action and reaction that people portray. I began to ask myself the following questions ( at this time I do not have answers to and with the rest of this semester hope to get.) If energy flow and transformation is always changing will people ever 'really' feel connected to their environment and appreciate all that it is? Will there ever be an understanding that maybe our surroundings are putting out more energy then we are and we are just a part of a much bigger picture?

In conclusion everyone views the city differently. People inhabit design, therefore design is the energy. Design is the ever changing element based on people's needs, perceptions, and yes, transformations.