« It's time to wake up.... WE ARE THE PROBLEM | Main | Volunteer Blog #2 »

UNDERSTANDING MY WORLD

DESIGN TO ME IS......
LEARNING TO UNDERSTAND THE WORLD AS INDIVIDUAL POINTS OF REFERENCE AND ELEMENTS AND CONNECT TO EACH OTHER IN MANY DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS AND PATHWAYS.

Mousegenenetwork.jpg

frustration.jpg

This Blog promt question could be a little dangerous. I feel I may express my true feelings about my recent schooling years more then I probably should. So…… I will stop there and begin with WHY HAVEN’T I BEEN ABLE TO TAKE A CLASS LIKE 1701 UNTIL NOW?
Before I get into where I would be if I were released from the constraints of the architecture program I want to say that my place of ultimate design creativity and bliss has definitely changed since beginning of this semester. Let me explain, I have always been a very creative, out of the box kind of person, but ever since I start school I have felt limited and very focused on sequence. Everything has to be done in this order or it’s WRONG. Says who? I understand when it comes to the actual construction of a building that yes, certain things must be completed first or you will have an obvious mess. But who is to tell my design thought and process it wrong because I didn’t do it in the order YOU told me to. This class has made me realize ARCHITECUTRE IS DEFIATELY NOT ABOUT STRUCTURE (to a sense) and to be honest I think I would be in a completely different place if I would have been able to explore that I idea before, like I am able to now.

Ok enough of that. My ideal place to be WHEN (no if), I am released from the architecture program would be all over the world. I know it doesn’t sound that creative, but it’s where I know I would at my most creative, knowledgeable, etc. Being able to travel would give me the ability to discover, to touch, to capture, and experience all the elements of life and design in a variety of built environments. This place of mine would have no books, no schedules, no limits. Begin able to interpret and understand design though the way people live it versus reading about it from the experiences of other people, making note cards, then having to choose a.b.c.or d. Honestly, I may be able o memorize the events, but how is that going to help me if I can’t draw from my own personal interpretation.
With my ideal place being traveling the world I would practice architecture in the form of creative and artistic research. Hopefully then beginning to have people see their built environment more then the new Super Target that is being built around the corner. The realization of environment, source, and substance will be a part of every ones understanding.