« Arete QuickStart manual published | Main | No word yet on setting up a project mailing list »

Arete project goals

Now that I'm working more or less full time (nights and weekends U.S. central time zone) on Arete, and especially now that I've finally stamped a public release of the source code, it's a legitimate Open Source product. But this is not yet a legitimate Open Source project. Here's the difference: Open Source projects have community, and Arete doesn't. I intend to change this right away.

Here's the big plan. I'm going to get the following for this project:

• A User mailing list, so we can chat

• A Clover license, for generating test coverage reports

• An IntelliJ IDEA license, so I can upgrade and build a rule-authoring plugin
  • I'm working on three more sample applications for Arete.

The first application is none other than Miss Manners. That's right, she's back in full effect. I've currently got her cranking out very VERY large seating plans, and while she's not perfect just yet, it's really just a matter of time.

The second application, which I'm pretty excited about, is a deck analysis program for Magic the Gathering. I'm experimenting with MTG because the game rules involve manifold modes of truth assertion. At the moment, my attention is focused on the data gathering and data modeling aspects of the application.

The final application is a network diagnostics tool. I'm going to write something to help my colleagues in 1-HELP troubleshoot network problems at the University. Of course the application will have limited use, because so many of the core systems at the University which we use for diagnostics do not expose public interfaces. This is fine. I'm going for the 80/20 approach.

Hopefully these three sample applications will garner some interest and attract a few interested developers. I think the best way to see why modal logic is important is to try to model a system for something that involves a lot of timing, possibility analysis, and permission / obligation rules.

With any fortune, I'll be able to show some respectable progress to the IntelliiJ license granting team in the next couple of months. Until then, my friend Nate's going to have to use Eclipse.

Coding Tonight

My pal Nate and I are going to be pair programming at Little Tijuana on West 26th and Nicollet tonight. The subject of our attention will be unit tests for the engine core. Cheers!