Although he is currently one of the largest earning athletes in the world, it seems that Floyd Mayweather Jr. has had a tough time controlling his temper outside the ropes.
According to ESPN: Mayweather is now part of new investigation; an allegation of misdemeanor battery that stems from a Nov.15 confrontation over parking tickets.
Las Vegas police allege that Mayweather blocked the guard, Shayne Smith, from leaving the cul-de-sac of his home, and repeatedly jabbed his finger into Smith's cheek, according to ESPN.
The trial for this case is expected to begin on Feb. 2. In addition, Mayweather also has to appear in court on Jan. 24, for a more serious trial, which is pending unrelated felony coercion, grand larceny and robbery charges, according ESPN.
The case surrounding Mayweather's trial date on Jan. 24 comes from a September dispute with his children and their mother, Josie Harris, at her house, according to ESPN.
Meanwhile inside the realm of boxing, Mayweather has been criticized heavily for not agreeing to put his undefeated mark on line, and fight Manny Pacquiao.
Furthermore the 33-year-old boxer known for his extreme arrogance and "making it rain," needs to consider whether it is more important to establish his legacy as felon by fighting outside the ring, or as a legend inside the ring by beating Pacquiao.
Recently in National News Category
On Jan. 6 of last year, Gilbert Arenas was suspended for the remainder of the season, as result for bringing four fire-arms into the Verizon Centre.
According to Chris Broussard from ESPN, the Washington Wizards finally traded Arenas yesterday to the Orlando Magic, and have given him a second chance to play with a playoff contender.
"He's a good dude, despite everything that happened here," fourth-year Wizard point guard Nick Young told ESPN. To see him go back home to get a fresh start and be on a winning team, that's something hopefully he'll continue to do good.
Apart from his suspension, Arenas was sentenced by a District of Columbia judge to two weeks in halfway house, and faced major criticism from the public about being let off too easy, according to ESPN.
"I was really scared of getting booed," Arenas told Sports Illustrated. "I used to be like, man, it's just boos. Now here I was six years later, I was scared to go out there."
So far this season Arenas has averaged 17.2 points per game, but was struck on last place team in rebuilding mode, according to ESPN.
Furthermore it will be interesting to see whether a change of scenery will bring a much needed change in the attitude of Gilbert Arenas, and allow him to presumably reclaim the status he once had as an all-star.
Former Iowa Hawkeye receiver Derrell Johnson Koulianos was widely considered as a potential first day draft in 2011 NFL draft, before he was charged for felony drug possession on December 7.
According to a staff writer from the Associated Press: Johnson Koulianos could face up to 7 ½ years in prison a day after Police found marijuana, cocaine, a digital scale, and more than $3,000 in cash, while raided his residence.
After the hearing, Johnson-Koulianos was released on an $8,000 bale, and was permanently dismissed from the team by Head Coach Kirk Farentz short after, according to the Daily Iowan.
Cindy Parsons, Johnson-Koulianos's landlord, told the Daily Iowan that he had lived at the residence since June 2008, and she had never noticed anything unusual.
A few weeks before the raid, Johnson-Koulianos was named first team All-Big Ten. After he finished the regular season with 46 receptions for 745 yards and 10 touchdowns, and became Iowa's all-time leader in receptions and receiving yards, according to the Associated Press.
Johnson-Koulianos, 23, was charged with keeping a "drug house" and possession of cocaine, marijuana, and prescription drugs, according to the Associated Press.
"He will be lucky to be drafted in the last round, the National Football Post's director of college scouting, Wes Bunting told the Daily Iowan. "I wouldn't invest any money in him. I could very easily see him going as an undrafted free agent
Although Johnson-Koulianos will presumably receive a second chance because of his athleticism, he will always be held on a tight leash for the rest of his career as a result.
An 18-year-old senior from DeSoto High School could face felony assault charges for tackling a referee during a video-taped game this week in Florida.
Anthony Cormier from the Sarasota Herald Tribune reports: just seconds after the whistle of referee Jim Hamm had sounded, Mason Holland aggressively lunged forward and pounced onto him.
"That's not me, it was a spur-of-the-moment thing," Holland told the Sarasota Herald Tribune. "I pray that I get a second chance and my whole life isn't ruined by this."
Attacking a referee is considered a felony in Florida, because of a law passed in the state more than a decade ago, according to Sarasota Herald Tribune.
This incident seems to be really similar to one committed by Delmon Young while he was in the minor's, because both had lost complete control of their emotions towards a referee during an athletic event.
Unlike Young, before the incident Holland was only viewed by scouts as a fringe division one college player. Since he was not viewed to be nearly as talented, he probably will not receive a second chance, and find another opportunity to play competitive basketball.
"That type of evidence in any case is hard to ignore," Cliff Ramey, an assistant state attorney told the Sarasota Herald Tribune. In his statement Ramsey referred to the video tape and how it usually plays the most important role in their decision to pursue criminal charges for cases similar to this one.
Furthermore this example demonstrates how one spur-of-the-moment decision could have an ever-lasting impact on a young mans future.
On December 06, a story surfaced on the ethical concerns about AOL's Patch neighborhood news section, after their decision to publish plagiarized images from other media organizations on their website.
According to a report from the American Journalism Review by Barb Palser, AOL could be held responsible for up to three ethical violations including, plagiarism, mistreatment of employees, and attempted tampering charges.
According to Palser: Patch had announced in a newsletter earlier this year, that they had more than 500 positions to fill, and would become the largest hirer of full-time journalists in the United States. This attempt was pronounced as method of finding a cost-effective way to report original local news.
A Midwest regional editor for Patch, Tera Tesimu told, Counterpunch.com, the problems with this rapid expansion for the employees are, "the competition is considerably high and the pay is extremely low."
As possible outcomes of the low pay, there have been two examples, which a local Patch editor decided to publish plagiarized content on their website. The first example occurred when a New York, editor stole a mug shot photo from a local blogger, and the second example occurred when a West Hollywood, editor stole an obituary from a local blogger, according to Barb Palser.
Furthermore, the overall ethical concern surrounding the development of new local media outlets like Patch news is, does the human resource problem of employing people at a cheap rate compromise the overall integrity in contents of the reporting that they publish.
A New York University arts professor named, Wafaa Bilal, had a digital camera surgically installed into the back of his head for the purpose of tracking what goes on behind him for an online streaming project
According: to an Associated Press broadcast, Bilial had the camera installed for the purpose of an art exhibit that was commissioned by a new museum in Doha, Qatar, which is set open on December 30.
Bilal told the Associated Press, that he chose to have the camera put in the back of the head as part of an allegorical statement about the things we always miss and leave behind
The size of the camera is about one inch thick and two inches in diameter and Bilal will wear it for the duration of one year.
Museum Curator Sam Bardaouil told the Associated Press, that the camera will capture all of his daily activities in minute intervals 24 hours per day, and the footage will be sent directly to the monitor at the museum in Qatar.
According: to Newskf.com, the device will capture more than half a million photographs, and most photos are expected to be very ordinary.
The Associated Press broadcast focused on the purpose of the art exhibit, whereas Newskf.com focused on the specifics of what the camera is set to do.
University of Illinois halfback Mikel Lourshoure ran 330 yards in one direction at Wrigley Field Saturday, straight into the school's record books as Illinois edged Northwestern by 21 points.
According to ESPN's Melissa Isaacson, the initial hype of the game plummeted after the Big Ten Conference ruled Friday that the game was going to be played in one direction towards the west, due to a safety hazard caused from an overhang in the wall of the east end zone.
However the fans in east end zone fans got there wish for excitement when Northwestern safety Brian Peters intercepted a pass by Illinois receiver Eddie McGee and sprinted 59 yards in their direction to close the gap to 14-7.
Although other than that play, the Northwestern defenders spent most of game with face masks grounded into the turf, after numerous failed attempts to bring down Mikel Lourshoure. Lourshoure racked up four touchdown carries of 30 yards or more, and 330 yards of the 519 total yards rushing that the Illini had on the day.
Since the campus of Northwestern is located only miles way from Wrigley Field, the stands were mainly packed with purple, however despite the result on the field, the atmosphere remained exuberant throughout, according to Issacson.
The reason why is because, the purpose of this game was to produce four hours of drunken fun for local Chicagoans, and that it did.
"I loved the atmosphere," Illini quarterback Nathan Scheelhaase said to ESPN. "It was a great setting, a great everything and obviously getting a win always helps the situation."
This football game at Wrigley Field demonstrates that college football should play thier games in baseball venues more often, because no matter the outcome the atmosphere is amped tremendously regardless, and the event itself becomes a spectacle.
Just a minute and 10 seconds into round two, a left hook from Sergio Martinez landed flush into the chin of Paul "the punisher" Williams, forcing his face to plummet onto the canvas of the ring.
According to ESPN's Dan Rafael, this fight for the middleweight in Atlantic City, Saturday night, was the rematch to a bout that went the distance last December, where Williams won the bout in a controversial split-decision.Martinez looked far quicker than Williams, he landed several flush punches in the opening round, then played possum in the second to lure Williams into throwing a lunging punch.
I didn't want the judges to rob me this time," the 35-year old Martinez said, to Rafael after the bout. "I knew I was going to knock him out and the fight was not going past seven rounds."
One thing Martinez proved last night, is that boxing promoters are killing the sport. Instead of pushing for the most entertaining fights that could help save the sport, promoters continue to assemble one-sided fights like this one, and one that occurred last weekend between Antonio Margarito and Manny Pacquiao.
Due to Floyd Mayweather's several on-going legal problems, the highly speculated fight proposal between him and Paquiao is probably off for good. However as Martinez demonstrated last night, a fight between him and Pacquiao could be just as entertaining.
Like Paquiao, Martinez has lethal combination of speed and power, making the two an intriguing set of ingredients to produce a slug fest. However since many casual boxing fans have not heard of Martinez, someone less deserving will probably get the money bout.
"If you're Pacquiao, would you go near him?" Lou DiBella, Martinez's promoter said. "We're going to have a problem making the next fight because that's how good he is."
In the last three days, 69 children prostitutes have been removed and 99 adult pimps have been arrested in the the United States.
The Associated Press reported Monday: that FBI spokesman Jason Pack said, 69 children were removed from prostitution and 99 suspected pimps were arrested in 40 cities across 30 states and the District of Columbia. The children were found during Operation Cross Country V, a three-day police crackdown targeting child traffickers and pimps.
FBI Executive Assistant Director Henry told the Associated Press child prostitutes are often recruited by loose knit groups seeking out misguided kids looking for a "responsible adult" to help them
JACK CLOHERTY and PIERRE THOMAS of ABC News reported: that sixteen juveniles were taken off the streets during the sweep in Seattle alone. Arrests were made through the stings, that were set up, with undercover officers or FBI agents acting as potential customers.
The two articles differed because the ABC news focused on more specifics of the story, and the Associated Press just delivered the basic facts