Does the Subway diet really work?

The subway diet plan became massively popular in 2000 when the story of Jared Fogle, who lost 245 pounds in a year by replacing two meals a day with subway sandwiches, became public. An old college roommate ran into him and didn't recognize him. Jared revealed the secret of his weight loss and the roommate wrote a small story in the local paper about his Subway Diet success. The local Subway storeowner saw the potential of the idea, and after a few hurdles the Subway Diet Plan was launched in 2000.

Now does is this diet entirely true, and does it really work? That is what caught my attention about this entire story. When learning about extraordinary claims it says that an extraordinary claim requires an extraordinary amount of evidence. Personally, I don't think the case of Jared Fogle should apply to everyone who tries this diet. This claim is only supported by Jared's experience and they are using this one case to persuade the public. This claim could also fit into the correlation vs causation and could be result of correlation-causation fallacy. There are many other variables that could've influenced the outcome of his diet such as an increase in the amount of exercise, reduction in consumption of other foods, and even by radical health changes.

If I had to experiment with this claim, I would conduct an experiment where I would randomly select a group of individuals and then randomly place them into either the experimental or control group. I would then have my independent variable being the subway diet, and my dependent variable being weight loss. By following this procedure and limiting the other potential causes of weight loss, I believe I would be able to come up with a reliable and valid explanation of this claim.

Leung, Rebecca. "The Subway Diet." CBS News. 05 December 2007. 30 September 2011. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/03/02/48hours/main603484.shtml