Bi-Weekly Report 3

Art Education and Videogaming
This week I decided to report on the involvement and place of video gaming in the art field and classroom. The article I read was "Pixellated Play: Practical and Theoretical Issues Regarding Videogames in Art Education" by Robert W. Sweeny. Sweeny is interested in the place of the multi-modality of videogaming in the art classroom. He has fully expored the use of perspective, narrative, interaction, interface movement and time. He has used these modalities to connect the aesthetics of video gaming and typical 2 dimensional art usually taught in the classroom. He has brought up the point of perspective and development of form in the history of art making and video gaming. Also, he thought that the topic of the male gaze would be a relevant discussion with the students and this subject. The emergence of the viewer and the difference of first and third point perspectives. Creating different themes or narratives to make the work interesting and to tell a story. Interaction and the viewers participation in the piece or game, whether moving physically or challenging mentally. The use of time and how video games can take place in current time and place, future or past worlds similar to art. Sweeny believes that video games can be a current and relevant tool to teach some basic art aesthetics. Also, his idea brings digital tools into the classroom.

I believe that video games could be used in the art classroom. For example, I could have students create their own plan for a video game and possibly create it, if software was available. They would come up with a theme, characters, viewers role, time and place. This could be useful way to brake down basic art making elements in a way that students are more accustom to and have more active participation in their daily lives. My only concern is how much emphasis Sweeny put on the multi-sensory aspect of video gaming. He thought it was great how emerged people can get into gaming and becoming apart of these alternative worlds. My concern is that people can get addicted and isolated. Yet, overall, I thought that Sweeny made some relevant points and that people should look more into the possibilities of teaching with and about video games.

Source Cited:
Sweeny Robert, W. (2010). Pixellated play: practical and theoretical issues regarding videogames in art education. Studies in Art Education, 51(3), 262-74.

Video games in the classroom.. a very current a relevant topic! As you stated there are many interesting topics you can bring up and teach through using video games. Not only can you teach technology, design, character development, but you can also teach problem solving which is great. You should try to see if anyone else is doing video game art in their classrooms.