Candice Methe- New artist statement Rough Draft

My last artist statement is null and void because it no longer applies. My work is now in flux and there isn't much to say about work that you haven't really made yet soooo.......

I am a potter. I use my hands to make functional objects that are intended to bridge the gap between beauty and utility. When making my work there is an inherent intimacy that happens. First I squeeze the soft clay through my fingers and it begins to take its shape. I will handle the piece gingerly when it is at its most vulnerable, protecting it from harm when it is dry and unfired. Then there will be a dialog with the object and I regarding the surface. Then it goes into the world after being chosen by another and a new intimate relationship unfolds.
Pots inhabit personal spaces. For me they are in the cupboard, the refrigerator, the medicine cabinet, they hold our treasures and most importantly, they take part in the ritual of nourishment. A pot will be held; our lips will touch the rims. We gravitate toward s objects that can comfort us and enrich our lives.

My experience with ceramics began when I found myself working with several women who worked in clay. Not only was I intrigued with the processes by which they made their living, but became enamored by the way they used this earthly material. These women were hard working, creative, independent, knowledgeable and resourceful, and I realized they embodied what I wanted to become. Now after being a potter for years I have come to realize that making work is what grounds me and gives my life meaning

Candice:

I think this is really good start, because it explains the reason of why you do ceramics. Explanations of the themes and concepts are important in artist statements, but in my experience we rarely explain why we even bother in doing art anyways. I like reading the physical and emotional connection that you have with the clay. This part of your statement really stuck with me: "When making my work there is an inherent intimacy that happens. First I squeeze the soft clay through my fingers and it begins to take its shape. I will handle the piece gingerly when it is at its most vulnerable, protecting it from harm when it is dry and unfired. Then there will be a dialog with the object and I regarding the surface. Then it goes into the world after being chosen by another and a new intimate relationship unfolds." I think you can maybe elaborate more on the dialog that you have with your object regading the surface.

I also love this part: "Pots inhabit personal spaces. For me they are in the cupboard, the refrigerator, the medicine cabinet, they hold our treasures and most importantly, they take part in the ritual of nourishment. A pot will be held; our lips will touch the rims. We gravitate toward s objects that can comfort us and enrich our lives". I think that the words "ritual of nourishment" are beautiful and key to what you're saying.

The last paragraph could probably have a better transition, or maybe it could be moved to the begining of your statement? Somehow it feels a bit odd of the location is at. I like how you say that your work gives meaning to your life, maybe you can expand on that as well?

Anyways..give yourself time with this statement. As you spend more time making your new work, the statement will write itself. Don't hurry it. I'm excited to see what you'll make and write in the near future. :)