Erin, Week 4: Artist Statement Revisited

"Belief in the significance of architecture is premised on the notion that we are, for better or for worse, different people in different places and on the conviction that it is architecture's task to render vivid to us who we might ideally be."
-Alain de Botton

Architecture holds rich history and stories in their hometown, and the culture with in the community is displayed in the facades and structures. The feelings and emotions that are evoked in buildings with in towns that I have lived create a self-awareness of my own characteristics and personality. The routes I take passing these places become part of my daily story, defining my trips back and forth between the studio and home. The psychological affect architecture has on me whether I'm aware of it or not, is a fascinating notion. Images of these spaces that I'm interested in from the many places I have lived, serve as a map of who I was at different stages in my life. Through ceramics, I am investigating why these ideas are intriguing.

My work explores the structural similarities in space, volume, and design that architecture and functional pottery share. Just as my passing certain buildings evoke an emotion in me, a certain design or form of a pot brings out the same feeling. The layering and weathering of brick and mortar next to a peeling, painted, plaster wall, is similar to the visuals of chipped slip covered with a smooth satin glaze. The sense of the influence of time in conjunction with simplified aesthetic values of architecture is articulated throughout my functional forms.

My sculptural work examines curious spaces in towns that I have lived in, breaking down urban and industrial landscapes into basic shapes, colors, and surfaces. Implying architecture through these shapes, I create a new scenario reflecting my personal experiences and travels. This work reflects the environments in which I live and I strive to understand the psychological affect its surrounding architecture has on me. Through ceramics, I investigate why these ideas are intriguing to me.

While reading your statement I found myself exploring my memories of parts of the area where I grew up, thinking about adjoining surfaces, textures, and spaces. This statement feels very tactile which seems appropriate for a ceramicist. I also like the parallel relationship between architecture and people, and people and ceramics. We are the architecture for the ceramic objects we live with.