Kevin O - label, context & intention, self-syllabus (Week 2)

Self Syllabus:

Movies

The Deer Hunter
Network
Manhattan
Some Like It Hot
Barton Fink
Back to the Future
Pump Up The Volume
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (live action movie)
Walden or Diaries, Notes and Sketches

Artists

Edward Hopper
Mark Rothko
Bill Viola
Cezanne
Manet

Books

The Craftsman by Richard Sennett
The Spirit of Disobedience by Curtis White
Trickster Makes This World by Lewis Hyde
You Are Not a Gadget by Jaron Lanier
The Uses of Enchantment by Bruno Bettelheim
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein
Collected Poems by Wallace Stevens

Music

The Talking Heads
They Might Be Giants
Atmosphere
Jurassic 5
Thelonious Monk
Ahmad Jamal

180-Word Museum Label:

Bachelor Pad - Season 3

Reality Television Series - High Definition Digital Video
90 minutes per episode
2012

Bachelor Pad is serialized multidisciplinary performance artwork produced and presented for a network television audience, drawing heavily upon the modernist dramatic traditions of Bertolt Brecht's Theatre of Alienation and Antonin Arnaud's Theatre of Cruelty.

Participants in the show, with full knowledge of previous incarnations of related reality programs The Bachelor and The Bachelorette, move into a mansion together, where they compete, collude, and copulate with one another to avoid being eliminated from the competition before claiming a cash prize of $250,000.

In part a sociological experiment that plumbs the depths of the dark side of human nature wracked by the temptations of sex, alcohol and money, and in part an exploration of the problematic nature of representing "reality" in a heavily mediated culture, wherein participants are encouraged to "be themselves" under the disembodied gaze of the program's authorship - comprised of numerous invisible camera operators, sound recorders, lighting designers, directors and producers - Bachelor Pad is an exquisite cultural artifact of the early 21st century, at the pinnacle of the reality television genre.

Context & Intention:

I have been working with video since I was 14 years old. I went to a very classical Hollywood-style film program at USC, and set off after college to make mainstream narrative feature-length fiction films. However I found the whole "film industry" production process extremely tedious - both in its large-budget Hollywood incarnation and in the more intimate but essentially identical "independent" mode.

So, I began to explore a wide range of approaches to film and video, and found immense satisfaction in hand-processing 16mm film and creating live-feed performance and installation video elements.

I decided to apply to this MFA program because I feel a strong need for structure, mentorship and community in order to move forward with my practice as an artist.