Reading Week 5: Terry Gross

This interview with Nick Hornby comes across as very conversational. I feel like I can feel the editing that she talks about in the intro as the subjects jump a little, there isn't always a natural transition. She definitely does her research and this seems to guide the interview. She has a good mix of personal/professional questions and he seemed willing to be open about the more personal subjects. This implies to me that there is no power imbalance in the interview, unlike the one she refers to with Gene Simmons where it seems like he was trying to dominate the interview in very negative and degrading ways. Her intro is interesting in that it exposes things that are not overt about interviews in general like the agendas and personalities that influence the final outcome. The interview seems to be quite an organic product that seem like it can be as much a product of the personalities of interviewer/interviewee as of the questions being asked.

Gross rarely interviews someone face to face, so she misses those nonverbal cues her subjects might project. I'm speaking as someone with a crap poker face here. I'm wondering how her questions might change course if she was in the same room with the. How do give more of ourselves away, through facial expression, or vocal inflection?

first off, I love High Fidelity (book and movie version). Terry Gross seems to be an incredible interviewer. Her introduction was very informative to her process and her experience that I felt like I had a very clear vision of her personality. I agree that this interview was very casual, conversational. I am now going to search the internet for High Fidelity since I don't have the book with me here in Minnesota.

It is interesting how a relationship develops throughout an interview. Hornby and Gross quickly develop an interview which blends in and out of fluidity and structure. I find an interview most successful in the little digressions which develop and less gripping when they follow call and response.

I first experienced High Fidelity via audio cassette last summer while driving towards the east coast. I may still have it Josh if you would like to add the cassette to your repertoire.

Beth, she talks about that indirect interviewing process in the intro, which I found interesting. She says it's easier to ask tough questions without looking someone in the eye. Also, she thinks the distance makes the conversation more intimate, by removing some self-consciousness. It must really work, because the flow of this conversation really feels like they are sitting across the table from each other.