Inspirations, Intentions and 180 words- Candice Methe

Lists: I did more of a list and then more of an elaboration on that list

Primary sources of inspiration in no particular order.
1. Nature
2. Books
3. Travel
4.Images from the late 18th early, mid 19th centuries
5. Happenstance
6. printmaking primarily relief printmaking
7. my own personal history and experiences
8.fabric, textiles
9.Islamic art
10. My astrological sign; the gemini.

Elaboration on my top 10 list
1. Nature. a place of spirituality and healing for me. I prefer the wilderness but the woods will do in a pinch. Trees, flowers, plant life, insects, birds, animals, dirt, rock and the elements.
2.I love art books, especially the ones I can reference visually. Right now I am looking at Henry Darger for his use of color and composition. I also love my sketch book that I would LOVE to be able to spend more time with.
3.Travel! Take me anywhere. I love to see how other cultures live, especially artists.
4.My favorite photo is my Father in his WW2 Uniform. I have a colllection of old photographs, they are very intriguing!
5.The small, fleeting moments of beauty or ugliness that can appear and unfold at any moment, only to be gone in the blink of an eye.
6. I love relief printing. I love the line quality and organic richness.
7.My personal experiences and history. I imagine this one will be on everyone's list. Still trying to recognize how I fit into my artwork. I know its in there somewhere.
8.Textiles, especially those of historical value. soft, supple, under-appreciated, again drawn to the organic.
9.I get really excited about Islamic art, particularly Persian Miniature Paintings and there metal work.
10. Im not huge into astrology but I believe there is something to be said about the nature of people. I do have a blessed/cursed duality which lends itself to juxtaposition, creativeness and indecision.
Image.aspx.jpeg

Intentions.............

My intentions for my MFA are pretty straight forward. I would like to create a body of work that I am strongly satisfied with and effectively conveys to others and myself a sense of self. I would like to make a name for myself within my field of functional ceramics, as well as create relationships with galleries.
As far as my intention for this course I want to learn to talk, discuss and articulate about art and art practices effectively and coherently. I feel like a deer in the headlights.

180 words

I have once been told that they are of the peasant variety, while on another occasion I was informed that they appeared to be very.... sturdy. As a child they were categorized as Flintstones and now as I approach middle age in earnest, they grow wider, they hurt all the time and yes, they are sturdy.
At the thrift store I try to cram and wrestle them into places they don't belong with the embarrassing notion of "should have known better". So narrow, too small are the places my feet don't belong.
Decorating the nails as a celebration of my femininity. At the salon, my feet look out of place in the hands of such small and delicate women, even against the garishness of my surroundings.
I have the same feet as the other woman in my family. My sister's are significantly wider and larger then my own and taking on a scaly appearance and with an arch long left behind. An adjective that she has encountered in her travels was "floppy". Doled out by the imagination of a medical expert. My mother's are more reptilian, with the absence of nails, replaced with a crust of fungus that always seemed to be more welcome then worth the trouble.