Chris, week 7, label- a mapping practice

When thinking about mapping my practice, I recalled something I had done about a year ago and now I plan to revisit. I decided to make a list of everything I used during the course of a day. More specifically, I would write down or sketch every object I physically touched. The first day's list took form on labeling tags from the Iron foundry at which I was employed, digitally through emails, and also in my sketchbook. I began to have battles in my head as to how specific I should be. I would ask myself questions such as, should I begin to list the parts of the wholes which I am documenting, is it a water bottle I am using or should the vessel and the lid be separated, and the water inside?

I began to doubt the entire concept of listing everything I used when I asked myself about light and sound. I touched the light switch. What about the light? The sound of the internal components of the switch? This began to develop into something very interesting in terms of objects and their physical extensions into the world, but this concept was anew from the original goal. So I eventually decided to just let the list happen naturally as if it were a habit of mine. I would document the object as it were a whole. I called it "A WORKING INVENTORY OF EVERYTHING I USED TODAY".