Media Literacy Discussion Question

I found the Introduction to Media Literacy article very relevant to society and this class. It was hard not to relate each concept to a media text today. One media literacy concept that I could relate to was on page 285, which stated that Media texts are most powerful when they operate on an emotional level. I instantly thought of the Hallmark advertisements that are on TV during the holidays. The advertisements use the warm and fuzzy sentiment of family to directly sell their cards and holiday decorations. The fictional families are happy and relaxing by the fireside, giving a direct emotional appeal, which consequently leds viewers to express strong emotions in relation to their family interactions. This can go two ways though. A viewer can feel sentimental, as the commercials are a direct reflection of their own family life. However, it could also create sadness for someone who has lost family directly or indirectly, in which the advertisements express grief from the memories. In addition, I think one of the most powerful persuasion methods is Humor, found on page 290. With the Superbowl coming up, I can't remember a strong Superbowl advertisement that didn't connect to humor and laughter. From Betty White in the Snickers advertisement or the Magic Fridge for Bud Light, humor in commercials is a very strong attention grabber and memory builder. The day after the Superbowl, everyone is talking about the most humorous advertisements. However, are these commercials actually helping the sales of their products, or are they just for pure entertainment?