Girl Scout Cookie Order a $24,000 Hoax: National News

Two Girl Scout troops in Portland Oregon thought they got the order of a lifetime--but an order of 6,000 girl scout cookie boxes, ended up being a hoax.

A company based in Hillsboro, Oregon, ordered $24,000 worth of Girl Scout cookies, but the person ordering the cookies was not even an employee of the company, KATU said.

The two Girl Scout troops didn't let that get them down.

Hundreds turned out this saturday. The girls held an event to sell the boxes at the Girl Scout offices Saturday morning and the cookies sold at a rate of 1,000 boxes per hour, KATU said.

The sales from the cookies will allow them to go to summer camp, and the "cookie credits" earned will allow them to attend, Komo News said.

A statement made by Girl Scout Spokeswoman Sarah Miller showed even the offices were surprised. She said, "I expected a few people to come down, never in my wildest dreams did I imagine this many," KATU reported.