Main | Our New Moon Girls Photo Journey »

A Word From Marisa McKie

My Work as an Editor at New Moon Girls

077.JPG

As many of you may already know, the media business is changing at a very fast pace. Editors and writers are struggling to figure out where and how they fit into a world where Facebook, MySpace and Twitter (and so many other personal networking Web sites) have become news and information sources for the masses. It seems like there is something new to be found in the way that news and media is being told to us—whether that be through video, pod-casts, short blurbs or message boards…sometimes I wonder what’s next!

My job working here at New Moon Girls has changed drastically. When I first started we were still a publishing company: New Moon Publishing. And now, we’re a media company: New Moon Girl Media. I’ve witnessed the change, and have moved through it. At first it was hard to adjust. Not knowing what you’re going to be working on next was hard to get used to. And while it’s exciting and fast paced, sometimes it can get very stressful! We live in a world where news and information is at our fingertips whenever we need it—being on the backend of that expectation can be exhausting at times!

I know I don’t work for a news company, but I do work for a media company that is unique in its own ways. We’ve launched an amazing Web site for girls where they are able to upload their own writing, poetry, music, videos…(you name it, they can do it). Because we are a Web site for girls between the ages of 8 to 12, we must be COPPA (Children's Online Privacy Protection Act) compliant. This means that we cannot allow girls to exchange personal identifiable information (Pii) with one another on the Web site. In order to make sure that this doesn’t happen, our Web site is fully moderated by adults. As you can imagine this is not a small task! Right now we have over 4,000 users on the Web site, and it’s growing! It takes a lot of staff time to make sure that the Web site runs smoothly. We also require all users to have a parental consent form. This protects our rights and the girls on the Web site.

I have many different duties as an editor working for New Moon Girls. I edit and write for the magazine and NewMoon.com. I also moderate the Web site on a regular basis. I write weekly content that fits with our week’s themes (for example it is spring week this week) as well as put girl created content that fits in the week’s theme in our spotlight section of the Web site. On top of that I correspond with all of our writers and artists. I compile images for the magazine and for the Web site. I create art for the web site, and I write weekly enews’ for parents and adults.

I really enjoy my job here at New Moon Girls because there is something new to be learned everyday. You have to have an open mind, and a willingness to do things that you’ve never done before! It’s really important that you understand not everything is going to work out perfect the first time you try it, and that you might have to try things many different times before you get it right! But, I think the most important thing to learn is that every day is a new day; have an open mind, and have fun with it—otherwise you might find yourself a little stressed out!