« Just another wild Saturday in college football | Main | JoePa wants a Playoff »

Bradford wins 2008 Heisman Trophy

Bradford wins 2008 Heisman Trophy

New York, NY (Sports Network) - Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford has won the Heisman Trophy, college football's most prestigious honor.

Bradford beat out last year's Heisman winner, Florida quarterback Tim Tebow, and Texas QB Colt McCoy.

Bradford, a redshirt sophomore, became the fifth Oklahoma player to win the Heisman, joining quarterback Jason White (2003), running backs Billy Sims (1978), Steve Owens (1969) and Billy Vessels (1952).

"I was definitely surprised," said Bradford. "I think it's everything of what I imagined. I think it's going to take a couple of weeks to soak it all in."

In the breakdown, Tebow actually had more first-place votes (309) than Bradford (309), but the Sooner QB totaled 1,726 points. McCoy was second with 1,604 points, including 266 first-place tallies. Tebow came in third at 1,575 points.

Bradford captured the Davey O'Brien National Quarterback Award Thursday, the same night Tebow edged fellow signal-callers Graham Harrell of Texas Tech and McCoy, for the Maxwell Award, signifying the nation's top all-around player. But two nights later in the Big Apple, it was Bradford who came away with the top honor.

That sets up a Bradford-Tebow battle in the BCS national championship game on January 8 in Miami.

Last year, Tebow became the first sophomore to win the Heisman. He was denied a shot at joining Ohio State running back Archie Griffin (1974-75) of was the only two-time winner of the Heisman.

With his left hand in the cast following surgery on his thumb, Bradford lifted up the Heisman Trophy with his right hand.