Penn State Finalizes Outstanding Recruiting Class

The Penn State Nittany Lion wrestling program, fresh off a superb 2007-08 campaign, has finalized its recruiting class for the upcoming year. Ten outstanding high school wrestling talents are set to help the powerful program continue its climb on the national scene.

The class begins, alphabetically, with Justin Aube (Harrisburg, Pa.). Aube will matriculate at Central Dauphin High School this year after wrestling in Minnesota for three years. During his four years as high school wrestler, Aube was a three-time captain and four-time all-conference selection. A state qualifier, Aube helped guide Central Dauphin to the 2008 Team State Championship this season and was a member of the Mid-Penn All-Star Team. He ended his high school career with nearly 200 victories. Aube was also a member of the Minnesota Freestyle wrestling and Greco Roman squads and was two-time team MVP. Aube projects at 149 or 157.

Jack Chidester (Conestoga, Pa.) is a three-time state qualifier from Conestoga High School. A section, district and regional champion, Chidester won over 100 bouts during his outstanding career at Conestoga, collecting an all-time school record of 133 victories. Chidester is also a stand-out in freestyle wrestling, having just placed fourth at the USAW Northeast Regional Freestyle Qualifier. Chidester could wrestle at 125 or 133.

James English (York, Pa.) won the 2008 District 3 title at Central York High School. A three-time PIAA qualifier, English placed seventh at 145 in 2007 and third at 145 this season. An outstanding talent, English had a superb 150-29 career record and is coming off a senior season that saw him go 45-1 with 26 points. English was also a second team all-conference linebacker. An outstanding student, English carries a 3.9 grade point average with him and is ranked in the top five percent of his class at Central York High School. English could wrestle at 149 for Penn State.

Read the full article here

Returning champs Ramos, Alton unbeaten after day one of FILA Cadet Freestyle Nationals

Gary Abbott USA Wrestling
04/12/2008

AKRON, OHIO - Two returning national champions remain unbeaten after the first day of competition at the FILA Cadet Freestyle National Championships at the Univ. of Akron on Saturday.

Returning champion Tony Ramos of Illinois won his first six matches at 58 kg/127.75 lbs, scoring two technical falls and four decisions. Ramos won the FILA Cadet Nationals last year at 54 kg/119 lbs.

Returning champion Dylan Alton of Pennsylvania had five victories at 63 kg/138.75 lbs., including three pins and two technical falls. Alton won the the FILA Cadet Nationals at 58 kg/127.75 pounds last season.

The other returning FILA Cadet National champion Hunter Stieber of Ohio suffered a loss in his pool competition on Saturday. Stieber won his first four matches, two by technical fall and two by pin. In the fifth round, he was defeated by Steven Keith of New York, 1-4, 2-2, 2-4. Keith has won all four of his matches so far. Stieber was also a Cadet Nationals champion in freestyle last summer.

Returning FILA Cadet National runner-up Robert Deutsch of New Jersey was defeated twice at 50 kg/110 lbs. and eliminated. He was second last year at 46 kg/101.25 lbs.

There were seven Cadet National champions, who won their titles last summer in Fargo, N.D., who entered the freestyle tournament this year. Two of them have lost bouts, Stieber and Kyle Caylor of Kansas at 100 kg/220 lbs.

The 2007 Asics Cadet Nationals champions who remain unbeaten in the tournament so far are Dylan Alton, plus Alan Waters of Missouri (54 kg/119 lbs.), Andrew Alton of Pennsylvania (63 kg/138.75 lbs.), Brandon Rolnick of New Jersey (69 kg.152 lbs.) and Jonathan Becker of New Jersey (85 kg/187.25 lbs).

Six of the FILA Cadet National Greco-Roman champions who won on Friday night are unbeaten in the freestyle tournament after the first day. These wrestlers are seeking to win a double title on Sunday. They are Tyler Fraley of New Jersey (42 kg/92.5 lbs.), Tony Pena of Colorad (50 kg/110 lbs.), Tyler Beckwith of New York (76 kg/167.5 lbs.), Max Huntley of Virginia (85 kg/187.5 lbs.), Alex Polizzi of Wisconsin (100 kg/220.25 lbs.) and Nikola Bogojevic of Wisconsin (125 kg/275 lbs.)

2008 Iowa State High School Wrestling Tournament Brackets released

The 2008 Iowa State Wrestling Tournament brackets are now available. Enjoy!

Blair Thumps Easton to Win Final Four

Blair Doesn't quite seem like some of their past teams, but they are very powerful in the middle. I noticed a weak spot around 130, other than that, they are a very solid dual team.

Blair Academy, NJ 51 - Easton, Pa. 10a
Starting time - 4:11pm
Ending time - 5:45pm
Easton wins flip and picks odd bouts
Referees: Mike Evans and Matt Reiss

125 - Anthony Valles (BA) dec 7-0 So. Mark Hartenstine (E)
130 - Sr. Jordan Oliver (E) WBF 1:19 Joe Stanzione (BA)
135 - Garrett Frey (BA) WBF 2:20 Jr. Pat Corpora (E)
140 - Austin Ormsbee (BA) dec 6-4 Sr. Tevin Gibson (E)
145 - Mario Mason (BA) dec 7-2 Jr. Eric Burgey (E)
152 - Jesse Shanaman (BA) dec 8-4 3OT Sr. Colin Dailey (E)
160 - Adam Hogue (BA) md 15-6 Sr. Jeremy Snyder (E)
171 - Corey Peltier (BA) WBF0:55 Jr. Jeff Griffith (E)
189 - Ben Krakower (BA) WBF 1:07 Jr. Storm Kruczek (E)
215 - Steve Hanzlik (BA) dec 6-5 Jr. Chris Wilson (E)
285 - Kyle Hanson (BA) WBF 3:40 Sr. Stephan Vas (E)
103 - Evan Silver (BA) md 19-7 Fr. Mike Fleck (E)
112 - Sean Boyle (BA) md 14-1 Fr. Joey Rizzolino (E)
119 - Sr. Kegan Handlovic (E) md 16-5 Tony Buxton (BA)

Chris Phillips Lives up to his Billing and More

Ohio High School Wrestling's Chris Phillips

It's been said that a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. However, In front of a bewildered crowd at Walsh Jesuit High School at the Walsh Ironman on Saturday, Dec. 8, Chris Phillips began his journey towards becoming Ohio's best ever with not so much a single step as a gigantic leap. In a gym full of the nation's premier superstars, the freshman 171 from Monroeville, Ohio stole the show.

On Saturday morning (Dec. 8), Chris Phillips faced an unthinkable challenge. He had to go through nationally ranked Corey Peltier of Blair Academy, the No. 1-ranked wrestler in Division II in Ohio, Zac Thomusseit, and the nation's best 171 in Brian Roddy of St. Edward.

What followed is something that was beyond jaw dropping. Phillips handled all three, scoring 10 takedowns to none for his three great adversaries. But even these numbers didn't really tell the whole story. As great as his offense was, his defense was even better. The fact is that in these three matches Phillips was never even close to being scored upon. Almost every flurry of action resulted in either a Phillips takedown or going out of bounds as Phillip was close to a takedown.

The final of course versus Brian Roddy was, as predicted, a match that fans will remember. Roddy, headed to Northwestern on full scholarship, was brilliant as usual in this tournament, defeating two of Ohio's best 171's, Nick Mills and Keith Witt, 22-9 and 11-3 respectively. One of the most intimidating high school wrestlers that has ever competed in this state -- the general consensus was that he would put an end to the latest "mutant freshman" (meant as a compliment) from Monroeville's great run.

That was my feeling heading into the tournament, but after seeing Phillips completely outclass the excellent Peltier and Thomusseit, I wasn't so sure. While Peltier is a former Cadet Nationals champ, defending Beast of the East champion and FILA Cadet Nationals champ (who defeated one of the top seniors in the nation last summer in Mike Benefiel) the Thumusseit win almost impresses me more. My connections at Graham have been telling me for some time that Thomusseit was underrated and should be the No. 1-ranked 171 in Division II -- after Thomusseit's win over Peltier for third place they are certainly correct.

Thomusseit, with lanky build and great defensive skills, has a style that can slow down even the most high-octane offenses. I saw him slow down Sean Nemec, Jason Welch of California (a scoring machine regarded as the best senior in the nation), and even Colt Sponseller last year. Phillips defeated him by about the same margin as the others, but having watched all of these bouts, Phillips was the most dominant against Thomusseit. While the other wrestlers found themselves frustrated by his defense with numerous stalemates -- Phillips took three shots in the first two periods, and finished all three, two of them without any sort of difficulty, before he began to tire in the third period and slowed his attacks (please note: not saying that Phillips is better than Jason Welch or Colt Sponseller, just that he had less trouble with Thomusseit than either).

There are three high school matches that are indelibly etched in my mind. The first one was Dustin Schlatter-Brent Metcalf at the MIT with the crowd on their feet applauding both wrestlers before the match began, the second was Sponseller-Nemec last year, with the crowd exploding as (then) underdog Sponseller scored time and time again on the St. Edward star. This was the third, but it was a much different feel to it. The gym was dead silent during this match -- nobody shouting encouragement, nobody talking, just the entire crowd watching the match with 110% focus. You could hear a pin drop in the gymnasium (except when Phillips was scoring). There was a tension to the bout, a sense of the history perhaps, that you could cut with a knife. At one point, Chris Deshon of Walsh (half-kidding) reminded me to breathe.

On a side note, much has been made of Brian Roddy getting physical with Phillips as the match wore on. To me, this is "much ado about nothing." Let's face it … this isn't a game of croquet. Trying to get the freshman rattled is as good a strategy as any I can think of. It has also been noted that Brian Roddy was in a no-win situation, going from the hunter to the hunted. Very true, and I certainly didn't envy him, but what I saw over the entire weekend was a wrestler -- freshman in high school or not -- who was quite simply the best wrestler gymnasium chalk-full of national champions.

Historical Perspective

While a freshman in high school being the nation's best 171, and Ohio's best wrestler, period (with apologies to Jameson, Boyd, Taylor, Roddy, and Stieber) is incomprehensible. To some extent, it is just the natural progression of Phillips' career. There were many who felt that the young man from Monroeville, while outstanding, had been over-hyped (primarily by the state of Ohio). In fact, I have under-hyped him as I knew if I posted how good I really thought this kid was, I would be regarded as the village idiot. The fans had to see it for themselves to believe it. Thus, when I posted last year that 8th grader Chris Phillips could likely beat three-time state runner-up Derek Foore -- and was quickly derided as a fool (on my own forum no less) -- I just let it drop and said you'll see next year (it looks a bit less idiotic now, considering Roddy majored Foore last year). However, what I saw on Dec. 8 was truly even better than I had imagined.

I first noted the name Chris Phillips while looking through the brackets of the OAC Junior High State in 2005. At that time, I noted that a sixth grader from Monroeville had won 12-0 in the finals of that single-division state tournament. Looking through the complete brackets, I then noted that 12 points was his closest match of the weekend. That really caught my attention, since it was remarkable for a sixth grader to be 12 points better than the best wrestlers in the state two years older than him (especially when you consider he was piling up that many points in a 4:30 match).

Generally, even an excellent sixth grader could not even hang with a top eighth grader in this weight range. The next thing I noted was that the wrestler who Phillips defeated 12-0 (Andrew Gasber) came within a single win of All-American status at the Cadet Nationals later that summer. If Phillips was 12 points better than a wrestler who made it that far in Fargo … that meant that, on paper, the sixth grader was good enough to place and probably place high against eighth, ninth, and 10th grade wrestlers at Cadet Nationals as a middleweight.

It followed, in my estimation, that if he could place high at Fargo, he was good enough to place that season as a sixth grader at the state tournament wrestling at 119 pounds. Obviously, this wasn't even something the mind could comprehend, so the jury was still out as I waited to see more results.

Chris Phillips (Photo/Tony Rotundo)
Of course, I go to many tournaments and talk a lot of wrestling with people at those tournaments. The following year I had the following conversation with a number of fans on several different occasions:

Fan: "Hey, you won't believe this, but a seventh grader came into our room and beat (insert state champion or high placer here). Admin: "Let me guess, from Monroeville?" Fan: Yeah, how did you know? You heard it enough times, about enough state champions and placers, from enough different people and you had to take notice.

Aside from practice room reports, during the spring following that year the seventh grade Phillips traveled with the Ohio Samsons to the NHSCA Duals. Competing in the All-Star Division, Phillips was beaten just once, by a Pennsylvania state runner-up who is now wrestling for a Division I college. In that match, Phillips was leading 6-1 before getting pinned in a cradle late in the bout. He followed that up by winning by technical fall against Brent Terry, the fourth-place finisher in the state in Division II. In short, Chris Phillips has been good enough to place at the Ohio State Tournament since sixth grade and good enough to win state as a middleweight since seventh grade. So, when you consider how much improvement that one typically makes between seventh and ninth grade -- the fact that he may now be the nation's best 171 -- and possibly good enough to compete on a Big Ten wrestling mat at age 15 -- is not so much shocking, as the expected progression of a wrestler who has been light years ahead of others his age for years.

If he can continue the progression that one might expect a high school wrestler to make in three years -- considering the level he is at now -- it is not out of the question that in three years Chris Phillips could be approaching a world-class level. Not only has there never been a freshman to compare Phillips to in Ohio among upperweights (the closest would be, ironically enough, Brian Roddy), there isn't a freshman that you can really compare him to nationally either that I am aware of. The level this Monroeville wrestler is at for his size and age is simply unprecedented, at least in the USA.

In a prior article, shortly before Dustin Schlatter defeated Zack Esposito to kick off his great run that ended in an NCAA title as a true freshman, I wrote that Schlatter was the sort of wrestler who came along in a Ohio once in a generation, like Alan Fried was in his generation, and Tom Milkovich was in his.

Mark down the prediction: there is so much that can happen between now and then, but I believe Chris Phillips will be the sort of wrestler who comes along not once in a generation, but once in a lifetime. Phillips is sort of like Dustin Schlatter, Harry Lester, and CP Schlatter rolled into one. He has the Dustin Schlatter-like positioning and instincts -- always in the right place at the right time, but with the speed of Harry Lester and the strength of CP Schlatter. Think Schlatter with a lot more ability to create his own offense.

The well-meaning pundits who like to "overthink" these sort of things -- the same doubters who kept bringing up Sponseller's bad Fargo and looking for excuses for his opponents when he turned every top 160 in the nation into "Adam" last year -- will look for a fly in the ointment. Really, just go to Flowrestling.com -- and bearing in mind how great the wrestlers he's facing are, and that he is a freshman wrestling 171, and tell me I'm wrong. It occurs to me, that with the Ironman honoring Mike Milkovich -- the legendary Maple Heights coach who paved the way for so many great wrestlers in northeast Ohio by his teaching and by his example -- it was sort of appropriate that he was there on the night that what should be the greatest career in Ohio history began. One legend in his twilight, the other just beginning.

Originally from ohiowrestlingsite.com, "the premier source for ohio wrestling news"

St. Paris Graham Wins Walsh Ironman

Two distinct stories emerged Saturday from the 14th Walsh Jesuit Ironman, called by Al Fontes of Wrestling USA as the nation's toughest high school wrestling tournament.

One is the fact St. Paris Graham, winners of the last seven Division II state titles, became the first school other than Blair Academy of New Jersey or St. Edward to claim the Ironman team title. The Falcons had 247½ points and one individual champion in David Taylor (112 pounds).

Blair finished second with 207½ points. St. Edward, winners of the last 12 Division I state titles, placed third with 157½ points and one champ in Collin Palmer (135).

The logical question to ask is this - have the Falcons now supplanted St. Edward as the best wrestling team in Ohio? St. Paris Graham coach Jeff Jordan is hoping yes.

"We've placed ahead of St. Edward in tournaments before, but we've never beaten them in a dual meet," Jordan said. "We'll be in the St. Ed Super Eight Duals next Saturday, so we'll see how really tough we are. They match up pretty well with us."

St. Edward coach Greg Urbas was not ready to abdicate the state wrestling throne.

"It's only the first week of the season," Urbas said. "St. Paris Graham did a tremendous job here. They have most of their starters from last year back. We have some new people. No doubt, we have to improve as a team."

The other story is how tough the Ironman has become, and that was exemplified in host Warriors senior Chase Skonieczny at 135 pounds.

In the afternoon, Skonieczny, a three-time Division II state place winner, stunned and pleased the overflow crowd when he defeated Colin Johnston of Canon McMillan, Pa., the No. 1 rated wrestler in the nation, 8-7, in the semifinals.

Johnston was ahead, 7-5, in the final minute when Skonieczny escaped to trail by one point. In the last 30 seconds, the Warriors senior won a scramble, switching from a double-leg takedown attempt to an ankle pick.

So what was Skonieczny's reward for pulling off a major upset? He got to face two-time Division I state champion Palmer in the finals. After a scoreless first period, Skonieczny was riding Palmer when he was reversed - then yelled out in pain, grabbing his ankle. Palmer, leading 4-0, won by default.

"I was trying for a Peterson and I heard him scream," Palmer said. "I sure wasn't trying to hurt him.

"I wasn't happy reading I have trouble escaping from leg wrestlers. Tonight, I proved I can. I started slow, not wrestling that well Friday but I picked up my performance today."

Skonieczny was taken to Akron General Medical Center for X-rays on his ankle.

"What happened was unfortunate," Walsh Jesuit coach Bill Barger said. "We'll know [today] what kind of shape Chase is in."

Wadsworth sophomore state champ Brad Squire (130) remained unbeaten in high school wrestling by downing Massillon Perry junior Seth Horner, 8-4, in the finals. Squire countered Horner's Russian tie with a leg turk for a key first-period takedown, one of Squire's five wins.

"Brad is too modest to say he's one of the best wrestlers in the country," Wadsworth coach John Gramuglia said. "But I'm not. And we're real glad to have him."

The most valuable wrestler was Monroeville freshman Chris Phillips, who stunned the nation's No. 1 rated 171-pounder, St. Edward state champ Brian Roddy - 7-3, with three takedowns. The Division III school also had two other champs in brothers Hunter (103) and Logan Stieber (119).

From the Cleveland Plain Dealer