Harmony Hammond

I was excited to hear how Harmony Hammond's personal experience as a female artist during the feminist movement of the 60's and 70's influenced how her work developed over the years. Though I did find her content and concepts very interesting I wished she had spoken more about the connection to her personal experiences. As an apparel designer I found her work with fabric and reference to the female figure especially relatable. I was intrigued most by her reference to traditional female roles with the rugs and needlework. The suggestion that these domestic acts are in some ways demeaning was relevant at one point in time however, in our current age I feel it no longer has the same impact. As someone who uses sewing and needlework as a form of expression and a chosen career path, this idea is almost offensive and I think her play on traditional domestic female roles could be revisited.

I found the idea of building a painting from the inside out a compelling concept. Especially when related to skin and the human body. Prior to hearing her speak, her work did not have the same impact for me. When standing alone her work, though beautiful and intriguing, did not translate her concepts nearly as deeply as her talk did.

Kora Gleason

To Kora

I was also interested in the concept of the paint being built from the inside out. I think of painting as a 2D sculpture. The layers of paint are built out and I often find it difficult to complete drawings in detail because, I am so involved with painting and have the opportunity to build layers.
I think her work could stand alone and was very compelling to me and it created an interest for me to do more research on her and her work. It is always more interesting for the artist to explain their work, but it is also nice not knowing about the work, so you can have your own experience with the works of art.
From: Nina A.