Ayadi Alkadhi

I found Ayad Alkadi's talk to be very inspirational. He uses his artistic talents for a good way to tell stories of his cultural background and of people that have been affected by the war. I found the works of women holding pictures of their deceased sons to be very emotional. Even though their faces were not recognizable, the pieces were moving and sad.
The pieces I found to be most interesting were those that he incorporated Arabic calligraphy into. Even though you cannot read what it says even if you were a native speaker of Arabic, it is a nice addition to the faces he paints. Sometimes in his works he places this unreadable calligraphy over the mouths of his subjects as if he is trying to show that these people have no say in society.
Most of his subject matter is very heavy and dark, but in paintings such as those in the Quarter Gallery, he incorporates humor into them. Each is related to the Islamic person in a different country and the eye cut out of the burka is in the shape of an icon that is known to that country. For example, in the France painting the cut out was a croissant and for the United States painting the cut out is in the shape of Mickey Mouse's head. I enjoyed how different these works are than his other works that seem to be very similar. Personally, I think it would be interesting to see him do something that isn't of a human figure and maybe do something else that is iconic in the Islamic culture.

I agree that the ideas and imagery he is working with are profound and anything but light-hearted, yet I did not find his work depressing or overly heavy. To me they are emotionally complex and even inspiring. For example, the women holding pictures of their sons made me feel their sorrow, yet also feel their pride and strength. I think Alkadi has a particular talent for capturing that type of thing, and to me his work is varied enough with the different series that he does, that I did not tire of the pervasive figurative element. I also liked the threads that he incorporated in one series. It added another dimension. - Allison

The images were profound, the feels that the images created were complex and emotionally charged. I understand why the Islamic women questioned, that he used the veil in his work. Being a woman I think I would have the same reaction, but I had time to think about it... and I think he has the right to make work with the veil in it.The veil is something that he has had interactions with in life. The veil also makes his work powerful because of the origin of the veil.