Laylah Ali

I enjoyed that she presented herself as a real person; explaining that she was sick and that she had given so many talks that she wanted to escape the traditional structure. She was successful at going outside of the standard lecture talk, by explaining her processes and her journey as an artist. It was interesting to get her incite of the struggles of being an artist and the barriers that University setting can create. It was wonderful to hear that she faced her professors not like her work, but she continued to produce the images of the human struggle in an illustrated way.

She did talk about her processes and the obstacles with having carpal tunnel and learning to work with her non-dominant hand. It was interesting to find out that her small, figurative, paintings on paper take her many months to complete. Her attention to detail was not something I had thought of in the past, but my only experience with her work before was with the images that were around Minneapolis in 2005. (Those images were greatly enlarged from what I remember.) After hearing about her processes and her attention to detail and having the opportunely to view her work at the Weismann; I have a better understanding of her work. The images although completed in small scale are extremely moving and graphic.

I thought it was important that she explained that it's difficult to be an artist and that may times you have other skills and roles in life when producing work. An example would be how she taught and continued to create work for herself, not thinking that anyone would ever see the work. It was great to hear someone that has achieved success explain that it's not easy and then explained that even the most talented people from her past are not working as artists. I think that unknowingly she achieved success because she continued to work on her art without the intent to show it.
-Nina Allen

Laylah Ali was probably one of my most favorite talks from this semester. She was so real and down to earth, I really felt a connection with her and her work. She shared some of her struggles (like the carpal tunnel) and I feel like not many artists do that. Yes artists share more of the creative obstacles like being stuck on a painting and not knowing what to do next but she shared in some of the more mental and physical exhaustions that I’m sure many go through. One thing that really made me respect her even more was that she didn’t seem like she cared what other people thought about her. She knows how hard she has worked to get to where she is today and I feel like she understands that the success she has had makes her extremely fortunate. Overall I really like the work that Laylah has done and because of this talk, I also respect her more for who she is.