W.A.R.M Panel Discussion

The W.A.R.M. Panel was interesting in a number of ways. I appreciated that Carole Fisher firstly gave a brief history of what W.A.R.M actually did during the 70s and how it is still active today. I thought her dry sense of humor and description of how the group got started was definitely interesting and it made the rest of the discussion seem more relevant by knowing what kind of groundbreaking work they accomplished during that era.
I was highly interested in some of the early performance art work they did in the 70s, as I think that type of medium is highly relevant for a feminist framework. The burning brooms performance seemed groundbreaking as well as visually refreshing.
Also, the fact that Judy Chicago visited the art department at St. Catherine's was a real eye-opener into how important that program must have been. It's too bad that the program isn't around anymore.
I liked how the speaker also went through the projects that people had done over the years for the women's art institute. Some of them seemed really interesting and I only wish she had gone into more detail.
The most interesting part of the discussion for me was definitely the whole conversation about people not knowing what "feminism" means, thinking it means something completely different from what it actually does, or being afraid to use the word or self-identify as a feminist. This is something that really hits close to home because I feel that it is a part of my everyday life as a self-identifying feminist. I find that so many people are misled by the word and/or are uneducated about what feminism means. I know it's a deeper issue, but I wish that kids were taught about feminism in school they same way they are taught about civil rights and equal rights for other groups. It's important that they know the history behind the feminist movement so they understand why it's even acceptable that women are allowed to do things like play sports and make art.
That brings me back to another point in the talk when they brought up using women in athletics to gain more support for women in the arts. It's important that people know feminism does not just apply to lesbians and people making obscure art, but that it is the only reason that women's athletics programs as well as art programs exist.
The last part of the talk I want to bring up is when some of the women got into a somewhat heated discussion about having their own gallery space. There seemed to be a huge divide between the women in the room who definitely wanted a space, and those who thought it was not a sustainable option. Personally, I am on the side of them having their own space. Having "a room of one's own" allows an organization to have more of a mark on their community and more of a presence. I think they are overthinking the fact that the space doesn't need to be fancy, it doesn't need to be more than a small room that can house a few works of art. With all the member they have, I think if they want to continue the organization for years to come, a permanent space is a must-have, especially if they want to recruit more people from the younger generation, which seems to be a bit of an issue.