WARM Panel

Throughout most of this talk there was one thought was constantly at the front of my mind. That thought was, "it is almost impossible to make out what they are saying." But I guess that issue can be attributed to the poor set up of the room. From what I could make out of the talk, they shared mostly stories about the struggle to gain a place for women in the art world. They did not talk much about the actual art that was made. It added a lot to what we already heard from Hammond. From Hammond, we got to hear about the art and an individual going through the process of making a place for herself in the world, and from the panel we got to hear about the bigger picture. Of how the organization of WARM got to the point where it could help women be what they want to be.
Though I appreciate what the panel talked about, I did want to hear more specifics about the individual's pieces. What really struck me about the bit that was discussed, was the nude content. My thoughts are that feminist art is stereotypically nude, and therefore far too expected to be seen. It is no longer shocking. People do not see it and try to find deeper meaning in it. I feel like there is not much either way. To me, the message given through nude art is not subtle, and not versatile. Women should not be limited to expressing femininity through their bodies. There is far more to being female than just the body. There are so many unique and beautiful things about women that are not physical. I feel that showing nude images of women does not reach out to women. All women do not even look the same. But there are fundamental things about psychology and experience that women can and should connect on.

Erin Persons

I also found some of the discussion difficult to hear, especially Carole Fisher and Elizabeth Erikson. I think part of it was just the way they spoke because I thought Stephani Whitehead much easier to understand.
I agree with you about feminist artwork and female nudity and would have liked to hear more about individual art projects created out of the W.A.R.M. community. I did like the group exercises that they talked about but I wasn't sure if those were supposed to be actual art projects or more therapy and healing workshops. I would have liked to hear more about both, but getting more details about the bigger picture was helpful in understanding what the women involved with W.A.R.M. in the 70's went through to get their project started and keeping it sustained.