Diana Molzan / Alex Olson

I felt that during this lecture for the Painter, Painter exhibit, there was a lot of strange energy coming from the stage. The mediator did not seem interested in following the direction that either Molzan or Olson wanted to go in and continuously posed very difficult questions. I believe that this tension did not allow the audience to get as intellectually involved with the discussion that was occurring as possible. For instance, the mediator posed a question about style and how it is not supposed to be "constructed" anymore. I noticed that Molzan especially tried to move away from the question because she did not understand what "too stylish" was, but the mediator continued to push it. It clearly began to make Molzan uncomfortable on the stage.

The personalities of both Molzan and Olson were very removed I believe. They did not seem to ever be too interested in what they were doing and spoke with a slight emotional disconnect. I am curious as to whether or not it is LA culture to act like that as an artist, because from what I have heard, that seems to be the norm.

I felt that Molzan talked about an interesting concept with her work about wanting herself completely removed. She was not totally ignorant to the fact that that was impossible, but she noted it as her goal. I had a quiet, guilty pleasured reaction when looking at her work after the lecture because I knew it was not meant to be analyzed. I could stand there and ponder it, merely to experience its physicality.

Lastly, the structure of the conversation was not well developed. The mediator did not walk the audience through work of the artists while they were speaking and I felt like there was little connection between the audience and the conversation that was happening on stage.

I felt the weird tension as well, between the curator and the two women, and the audience and the artist. Hey, at least it kept us on our toes, I didn't know what to expect. I began also thinking about the difference in culture between Minneapolis and L.A. In all of my studio critiques I have been asked to talk about my work, ideas, and inspiration and I wonder If they are not pushed to do so. I feel it benefits the artist because it allows you to say everything you have been thinking and planning out loud and also allows the work to go in other directions with the voice of others.

I used to live in Southern California, and my husband worked in the art world there. Like here, there are all kinds. I don't think the disconnect had to do with LA culture so much as the personalities and preparation of the individuals on the stage. I agree with you that there were several threads that arose in the course of the conversation that would have been worthwhile to follow, but no one seemed to want to explore them any further. The tension you spoke about was tangible and in the end spread to the audience as well.

- Allison Ruby

I definitely agree, although I watched this lecture from home, I could absolutely feel the weird tension, the disconnect from the audience, and everything else that made this talk disappointing. The two artists couldn't give a straight answer about their work, and seemed to want to only say how great their privileged life as artists in L.A. was.

I also felt weird energy coming from the artists and the curator. There were many awkward silences when Eric asked both ladies about their style and artistic practices, often they would slightly give vague answers that left me confused. The talk was very impersonal because of how the artists were dodging questions that could have been explored further.