Dianna Molzan and Alex Olson

Unfortunately, I was unable to the Painter Painter show, but I have seen their work before and it was nice that they showed which works were in the exhibit. I was a little disappointed with this talk, though. I felt that it was a little boring and Erik asked them questions about things in their personal lives that I felt like you needed to know about them to understand this talk. I was also disappointed that they didn't talk more about the process they go through to create their works rather than so much talk about their lives in Los Angeles at the beginning of the talk. I was very glad that an audience member had made a comment about not showing their work, because when they had finally shown more examples of their work it was easier to grasp how they work as artists.
I do enjoy their work a lot, they each have a specific way of working and it's easy to tell whose work belongs to whom. I feel like Diane should be considered more of a sculpture rather than a painter because she makes her canvases into three-dimensional works and uses materials other than paints. I was glad that an audience member asked her a question relating to the same thoughts I had on the sculpture aspect of her work. She seemed to explain that she was indeed a painter because she painted on these works. I view Alex's work to be more of a painters work because her works are two-dimensional paintings.

-Moriah Kelly

Yes, it was a regret of mine as well that I was unfortunately unable to attend the exhibit before the talk. I agree with you as well, that it was somewhat disappointing the level of attention that was given to the artist’s lives as opposed to their works. I think that I (and the audience) could have gotten more out of a better-structured talk. As it is, I now know a lot about life in Los Angeles, but I left the room wishing I knew more about the processes they go through as artists.