Laylah Ali artist talk

Laylah Ali's lecture was definitely a inspiring talk because of the way she presented that moved away from the normal format of usual artist talks. Laylah was much more interested in presenting herself as a person and involved more humor and personality than any artist talk I've ever been to. The usual persona that artists create, that distances themselves from the public is shed away in Laylah Ali's lecture. I loved how she wanted the audience to be involved in the talk, and she achieved this by allowing audience members to ask questions at any point. This jumping from topic to topic from her Greenhead series inspirations to talks about her undergraduate life and graduate school, was definitely a breath of fresh air.

I'm very use to artists talking about their work in chronological order and never straying from that format, but it was interesting to see her jumping around slides to keep her audience on their toes. In Laylah's ink drawings, I wonder what kind of discipline is required to achieve the incredible incredible amount of detail. In the Greenhead series, I can't even fathom the thought of how much time was spent creating all those pages. Adobe illustrator is not a very easy program to use, and takes time to get things to work how you like it to be. It was interesting to hear how she didn't personally use illustrator, but asked a friend to create the series instead, with the instructions from Laylah. Which is a process I've never heard an artist used before.

I also appreciated Laylah's honesty about her views of the current job market for artists. Most of the audience were undergraduates who were likely art majors, and it was an interesting subject that many of us often ponder about as we continue our education here at the University of Minnesota. I found it helpful for an artist to say that career will be a difficult path, so it would be best to have skills from other areas as well that will prepare you if it doesn't work out in the beginning.

I definitely agree with your last paragraph, about her views of the current job market, but I think her views go even deeper than just the current state of the job market itself. I think she meant that she wasn't sure the world needs more painters and the like because those mediums may not be so relevant anymore, and something more immersive like film making might be more relevant and able to pique public interest. It's something I think about a lot.