Penelope Umbrico

I seemed to have a really hard time initially connecting to Penelope and her work. The suns were pretty and interesting but I felt like I lost interest quickly. Maybe it's my lack of experience with critiquing and analyzing the work different artists do, but I felt as if she could have done more with her work. It would have been so much more interesting if she had taken the time to go out and take some pictures for herself or if she actually travelled to amazing places to get beautiful pictures of sunsets rather than sitting on a computer looking them up. I don't find that very inspiring. The lines of information she is following (such as the amount of sunset pictures on flickr) are interesting to an extent. I don't think this is something that I would continually follow and track. Things like this are the normal now. I could just be really desensitized to how accessible information is steadily becoming but since sharing information is so easy and common, I don't think it was worth her time to put effort into tracking how many sunset pictures there are on flickr. She also spoke of old television sets and one hour photo booths and I felt the same way about this information as I did about the sunset collection.
Penelope gave a really good and clear talk and I do respect her as a person but for some reason I was just not inspired by her work. Maybe I am being too closed minded or I'm being too critical but I feel like so much more could be done on her part to actually go out and get pictures for herself rather than having to face the critique of "stealing" other people's photos.

I agree with your statement that she could have done more with a lot of her work. I think that her talk was interesting, but that the statement she is trying to make with her work falls a little flat simply because, as you said, this is the norm now. This is how we as a society share our lives, and it isn't exciting or shocking anymore. It bothered me that she seemed to not even care where she was taking the images from, regardless of the fact that, yes, many of them were interchangable and you couldn't tell whose they were anyway. I wished that she had created the images herself, or given the people who had created them credit in some way.

Appropriation is always a tricky area to explore as an artist. In a world where information is easily shared and accessed on the internet, images are often used in different contexts. I think it is fine to appropriate images from the original owner if you personally ask for permission of use. But I feel slightly uncomfortable when people take other's images and calls it their own without crediting the source. While Umbrico states herself as a photographer, I feel that she is more of a appropriation artist that just happens to use other peoples photographs. But then that begs the question of whether any of us own the images of televisions,remotes,computer screens, or the sun.