Matthew Zefeldt

I really enjoyed Matthew Zefeldt's talk. I am also a huge fan of comics and for him to show a bunch of work from when he was an undergrad and recreating some of these scenes from comic books was just awesome. You could definitely see a clear line from how he got from one point to another in the sense of his artwork. I am also a huge fan of using lots of colors so this was another bonus in my book for Matthew. All of the slides of his work and how he created it was also very interesting for me. It was almost as if he laid out a timeline of pieces and how he went from one step to another and I really liked being able to follow his thoughts along with his work. Matthew seemed to really connect to his audience as well which made that talk that much more enjoyable. I didn't even mind when he went over the time limit, I could have sat there for much longer listening to him talk about his painting and I feel like this is something that doesn't happen to me all that often anymore, usually be the end of the hour I'm ready to go! With all this said, the one thing that I had a hard time understanding was his increased use of heads in his work. I just don't think I personally like the super colorful background and then a not so interesting head looking at me. I know he teaches some classes here at the U and I think I may try to take some with him, he seems like a really down to earth and creative guy.

I have nothing against comic books, but they've never really attracted me either. Still, I found Zefeldt's comic book inspired paintings very interesting and compelling on several levels: compositionally, spatially, his abstraction of various elements, and the way he painted in a collage-like manner. A lot of explore and look at there, I thought. In general I like a lot of color too, but I found his more recent paintings too busy despite the simple subject matter, and that the multiple patterns along with the intense use of a multitude of colors ultimately diminished them. I didn't feel that interested in lingering or looking more closely, I felt it was all out there already.

His comic book work pulled me in as well. Although I don't have any sort of background in reading or viewing them. I am now gaining appreciation for them. You're right about his process. It did feel like a timeline where the audience could see every progression in his work. His process that he spoke about showed how he created work for himself, rather than his audience.