Recently in Christina Schmid Category

Christina Schmid

This lecture was extremely intense and Christina was so passionate. I have only have few interactions with Christina and found it interesting that many other students had no idea what her role was in the Art Department.

It was refreshing to have her explain that she did not aim to attack artist or their work but allowed a conversation to begin with the artist, writer and the audience. The work she does can allow people to see other perceived and also her work can tell the artist the images, feeling or concepts they achieved with the viewers.

I had only known that she was a writer and had not taking the time to learn more about her work. I think many of us have done this; we could have asked her at any moment to explain her work. With the amount of passion she spoke with it sparked an interest for me to research her work more and I did go to the Quolibetica. I recommend that everyone take the time to visit the page the link is below.

Link to site: http://www.quodlibetica.com/author/cschmid/

Visiting Artist- Christina Schmid

Christina Schmid's lecture was definitely an interesting lecture so far. Her approach into interpreting an art was very interesting to me. From her introduction she described her job as " writing with art not writing about art" I thought this quote was very interesting yet amuse me into curiosity how she writes "with art" because I always adapt through the media or in the book, the society usually makes the art into critics about the artwork itself. The website, Quodlibetica was very interesting website to look at while Christina was precisely told us her accomplishment and goals throughout the website.

I was impressed how Christina engages or having conversation the work together and put the engagement into her paper. Rather than criticizing the work in the form and content, she told us that she puts her theoretical ideas and emotions into her writing. I loved how Christina was very organized and used the form of literacy to the audience in a way to understand better what her job is about.

I was also feeling empathize about not understanding the art or the work sometimes. I felt stupidity over myself for not understanding the artwork. But I was thankful when Christina said "art is full of curiosity" But someday I want to engage with art not talking about them directly in the future that shares the language together.

Visiting Artists Lecture #6 - Christina Schmid

Bailey Haack
4 April 2013

The lecture by Christina Schmid was different than the rest of the lectures we've heard thus far in class. Early in the talk, she said, "What I do is very mysterious," which I found very interesting. Schmid is a writer and an art critic, and I liked how she described her practice as "writing with art, rather than writing about art." I had never heard someone talk about being an art critic/writer, so I found the talk very engaging.

I was happy to hear Christina talk about how she makes an effort not to impose her own theoretical framework around the art she is discussing. I usually picture art critics as just writing down their first impressions of the art as it impacts them, so it was refreshing to hear how she makes an effort to "engage with the art on its own terms." She also noted that, while it is easy (and perhaps sometimes fun) to write bad reviews about things you hate, it is important to still make an argument for a positive review and give people a reason to care about the work.

Another part of her talk that I really enjoyed was how she described the importance of art criticism and being able to write about art, because once the exhibition is taken down, the writing is all we have left. I hadn't thought of it in this way before, but now lately I have been thinking about the importance of writing about art and archiving. She noted that many artists are not great at describing or talking about their work, and I absolutely agree with this, especially when the meaning of the piece is meant to be left up to the viewer. The open ended-ness of a lot of art makes it difficult to discuss without imposing your own viewpoints and ideas onto it. I liked how Christina made an effort to follow the art and the artist in order to learn more, without imposing her own framework onto it right away.

Christina Schmid

I thoroughly enjoyed Ms Schmid's lectures more so than some of the other lectures we have had in this class thus far. Hearing her talk about the way she "writes with art" instead of just about it, made me think that she is really starting a conversation and participating in the art world in a valuable way.

The lecture was organized in a way that made it easy to follow and yet it was still very informative and complex. I agreed with what she said about how it is somewhat impossible to encapsulate art through language, and how it is like playing air guitar. But I find this kind of writing neither mimicry nor criticism, but rather an opening up of a dialogue between the artist, their audience, and also the writer. Although many artists are themselves sometimes hesitant to talk about what their art is actually "about", I don't think this type of writing necessarily tries to fill that void that the artist often does not, rather it aims to give a separate interpretation and brings a separate knowledge and perspective to the work itself.
I think Christina may have mentioned something along the lines of what I have just said, but there was someone in the audience that confused what she actually said with "the artist is incapable of dissecting and explaining their own work," and for some reason he seemed somewhat offended that Christina wanted to write "with art" instead of "about it". I think it is not meant to offend. She is trying to participate in the conversation of art, and if an artist does no want their to be a conversation about his / her art, then I don't know what the point of exhibiting it would be.

Christina Schmid

After listening to a great many artists talk about their work, the perspective and viewpoints of an art critic was surprisingly refreshing and enjoyable. Schmid's work sounded very fascinating, and she seemed to be a bit of an artist with words herself. I really appreciated the way she talked about the critical process, talking about how much work she puts into reviewing different artist's work and exhibits. I also enjoyed her speaking to the art of interpreting a piece of art apart from the intentions of the artist. As an English major, this is very similar to the way that we examine literature. When we look at the work, the author's opinion is no more important than anyone else's, and we try to let the text speak on its own, because very often, as Schmid pointed out, the work is saying something other than what the artist intended.
It was great to hear her use the analogy of poking a soccer ball full of tiny pins and watching it deflate. I'm sure negative reviews are fun to write for her, but they are definitely also the most important reviews for the artist. It's always nice to hear that someone loves your work, but at the end of the day, it doesn't help all that much. We need people who are willing to get into the nitty-gritty and criticize the work we've done, because only then can we make the improvements that we don't notice ourselves. Critics fill a highly important role in the cycle of creativity, because they allow for improvement through their criticism.

Christina Schmid

In a class mostly consisting of working artists' lectures, it was somewhat unexpected to have a lecture by an art critic. However, I think in this case, the lecture fit perfectly into the mold of the rest of the class, and in itself was absolutely fascinating for me.

In contrast to the last lecture, which I'd had a few problems with, I thought Christina did a brilliant job of laying out what she does, her reasons for doing it, and how she got started in the first place. I'd never really considered how exactly one becomes an art critic, and hearing that was certainly fascinating. One of the things that stayed with me from the talk was this quote: "If no one writes about a show, it never happened." While certainly a bit of an exaggeration, it raises a key point: documentation and criticism are incredibly important to the production of good work. It's easy to forget that there must be curators and critics who sift through the massive output of the creative class to make comments on it, but the truth is, the work they do is absolutely essential.

In addition, I found her comments about her interactions with the artist to be very interesting. To hear a critic say that they do in fact want a dialogue with an artist they criticize is highly refreshing, as I believe this is a way of furthering conversations. The short bit of debate between the gentleman in the back of the room and Christina was interesting, and I would've loved to hear the rest of the discussion about artists relationships' with critics.

All in all, I found this to be another highly engaging talk that I left inspired to think in new ways about the work I produce, and I enjoyed hearing a new perspective on the art world!

Christina Schmid

I really enjoyed listening to Christina Schmid's talk. It's not often that you get to listen to a critic talk about their experiences and how they became to be an art critic. One point that Christina emphasized is that she writes with art, not about it. At first I was confused as to how she could say something like that; I almost felt as if she were also trying to take credit in the meaning of a piece of art along with the actual artist. How wrong was I for thinking that! She brought up how some artists have a hard time finding the meaning behind their work or that they have a hard time trying to explain it to their audiences and how writing with the art can help reveal the meaning behind a piece of work to even the creators themselves. I feel as if this issue is a lot more prevalent than what most people think and part of a critique's job is to basically give feedback to the artist, telling them whether or not others will like what they are seeing. This, I believe allows artist give clearer talks about their creations and thus they are better able to connect with their audiences.

Back to what Christina was saying about writing with art rather than about it, I also think that a handful (if not more)of critics out there end up shaping the meaning behind a piece without regard to what the artist is aiming for. I know of some critics that seem to think that their opinion is the only one that matters and it was incredibly refreshing to hear Christina talk about how she likes to try and see things that others don't.

I also really appreciated how well she was able to connect to her audience. She kept her stories entertaining and I didn't find myself zoning out for brief periods of time like I have for a couple of other guest lecturers. Christina seems to have worked really hard to get to where she is today with not only her writings but also the online magazine. She has definitely influenced me to read more critical articles about both art and the artists alike.

Christina Schmid lecture

I really appreciated Christina's talk because I could sense how passionately she spoke about what she does and the discipline of art criticism. What I found intriguing was that there were many forms to write about art, but each has its own way of presenting the subject. Some tend to be overly academic, while others are more like a conversation with the artist. I feel that outlets such as the internet, allows writers the freedom to write with art by embracing the inherent conversational qualities of visual art. This type of writing feels much more personal and engaging, Instead of the usual black and white perspective that comments on whether a piece is successful or unsuccessful.

I am glad that there are writers like Christina that help interpret artwork. Because I find it immensely helpful to listen to interpretations from others because they often highlight aspects in my artwork that I would have never noticed. These ideas tend to occur subconsciously until that moment when someone gives a new perspective that transforms them into ideas that can be further explored. I appreciate interpretation because it invites the artist to think about their work in a wider context instead of only thinking about the processes that lead up to the finished product. Conversations with others definitely is incredibly helpful because it allows me to see the work in a whole different way I couldn't have possibly have seen on my own.

Christina Schmid

I really enjoyed hearing Christina talk about how she writes about artwork. Having her as a professor I have always wondered why she teaches in the art department, and she brought up how a student from one of her classes asked her that and it was nice to hear that I wasn't the only one thinking that. Then, she went on to explain what got her into talking about writing about art. It is interesting that she was at an artist talk when she decided to start writing about art. I liked that Christina spoke about how she enjoys writing negative reviews of artwork, because lots of people wouldn't admit that.
At most of these artist talks we get to hear artists talk we get to see what they have created and their process of creating. It was fascinating to see the other side of the art world. Seeing the works she wrote about and her process of reviewing was nice. I could tell that she is very passionate about what she does based on the way she speaks about it. It is nice that there are writers out there like Christina that help interpret artwork. Personally, I think there are aspects in an artist's work that they don't even notice themselves and art critics are the ones that help artist interpret their own work and notice things that they did not even notice themselves. An art critic is that new set of eyes that sees things the artist himself or herself doesn't see.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Christina Schmid category.

Ayad Alkadi is the previous category.

Dianna Molzan is the next category.